Question on Saiga rails please help!

Ok, so I have been lurking on this site for a long time now... I bought my Saiga a few months ago with the intention of "restoring" it, I am finally getting to that. I ordered the kit from CSS I shouldn't have any trouble with the FCG, My question is about rails.

I would like to remove the FSB and use rail mounted iron sights. The theme on the rifle is AR to AK, so I plan on using m16A2 grip, stock, and a carry handle rear sight

What I would like to figure out what gas block rail and dust cover rail set up will work with each other, as in, the rail over the gas block and the rail over the dust cover are the same height so that I can put iron sights on each end.

I would like to use something like the DPH Beryl rail or the dog leg rail in conjunction with a gas block rail but I have no idea what rails will work together, any thoughts? I am trying to do this on a budget if I could afford the Krebs quad rail and rear rail combo I wouldn't be asking this questions :smoke:

I saw boba debts project, that is what made me want to do this, i want what he wants, but i dont want a rail floating 2 inches over the dust cover..

Yea the 5 rail systems that CAA and MAKO have out, they are ridiculously expensive, and yes krebs has some really awesome stuff but thats even more expensive then the 5 rail systems. I was hoping someone knew of a gas rail that would work with something like the dog leg which is a little more in my price range =( thanks tho

I'm not really sure of any rail that fits your description. There are many variances in the manufacture of these guns, not to mention the size/shape dimensions of all the various accessories. Aside from a system intended to be a full rail like Krebs or the Mako, I doubt you will find two rail systems made by different companies that just so happen to be the same height.

You could try a DPH Beryl Rail and try and fab your own front half of the rail using a gas tube, steel spacers, a rail blank, etc. Your best bet is either to go custom, or just put the project on hold until you have the funds for a system like the one you want.

My modified UTG rail does not sit 2 inches above the dust cover on my Saiga 7.62, it's 3/4". The bull pup is higher but that is intentional.

The problem with AKs is that it's hard to engineer a rail that goes from one end of the gun to the other with out modifying the front trunnion like I did. So they have to be made in two pieces.

BUT even if you have a dust cover rail like the Krebs and a gas tube rail like the Ultimac it would be difficult to make it adjustable to align correctly with every AK model produced. A difference of height of just 1/16" can make a huge difference in the impact point of the round down range.

That's why I did what I did.

A single rail with 13" of sight radius is pretty good, but I'm looking at ways to get it longer.

Edited by Boba Debt

thanks guys, i was not trying to bad mouth your project boba. i was just frustrated that i cant just press the easy button here. Classy your absolutely right about putting the project on hold, it will be well worth the wait. :angel:

The FCG restore went flawlessly, and a special thanks to CSS how the hell does he ship so damn fast??