Was just reading up on this...

http://www.nrahq.org...e/highpower.asp

Anyone do this on here with there Saiga's...??

Rules say under 9 1/2 lbs and centerfire with 'IRON' sites..

Also say any regular FOREIGN issue military rifle is OK also.

Its 4 'stages' and 10 rounds per stage.. (or quick matches with 2 stages at 20 rounds..)

Standing 10 rounds 10 mins (200 yard sim target)

Sitting/Kneeling 10 rounds in 60 seconds... (2x 5 round mags and swap) (200 yard sim target)

Prone 10 Rounds in 70 seconds... (2 x 5 round mags and swap) (300 yard sim target)

Prone 10 Rounds in 10 mins.. (600 yard sim target)

you can find all 3 of the reduced targets on-line as I did

Also here is some more info for practice and 'qual' ing.

http://www.nrahq.org...power_rifle.asp

I think guy that want to get good with IRON SITES should try this..

I'm going to give it a shot in 2 weeks down here on my own just to see...

Going to run the 5.45x39 as its got less recoil and the target 'center's get smaller as you go... (600 yard simulation)

Anyone on here try this???

Albert

Got my targets posted UP on the 'backing' for next week.. You put these out at 100 yards...

post-8775-092612100 1279408274_thumb.jpg

Left side is the 200 yards simulated targets (SR1).. Right side top is 300 (SR21) and bottom is 600 yards (MR31) simulated.

I'm going to do this (all 4 stages) with irons on my 5.45x39 Saiga next weekend (if not raining).

Going to use my stopwatch for the timed portions..

This aughta' be fun..

Anyone else do any NRA comps with there Saiga???

Thanks Nailbomb....

If anyone else wants to PLAY and use there IRON sites.. and want practice... practice.. practice...

Our rifles come under rules Section 3.1.14 Foreign Service Rifle (or commercial equalivalent) under 9 1/2 lbs and 4 1/2 lb trigger or more..

Here is a ZIPPED file of 4 PDF's for the 3 targets (as shown above) for the Hi-Power Comp (for 100 yard usage) and 50 yard target they use for qualifing (A-23) for just the badges/pins. (see bottom of the below NRA linked page for that)

NRA Hi-Power Targets (zipped file PDF's) (hosted on my website)

Hi-Power Marksmanship Qualification Program

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/high_power_rifle.asp

10 shots from rest (not a bag folks) and 10 shots standing for quals for the pins/rockers...

Use the A-23 target (PDF in the zip file above) at 50 yards...

Notice you have to do this MULTIPLE times to get ranking..

Going to do this next weekend also..

Albert

No, no one successful anyway.

I admire your spirit, but get ready for am education.

Yup. The AR platform is head and shoulders ahead in this format.

Here is a out of box that will knock the sox off.

http://www.bushmaster.com/competition_rifles.asp?cat=16R

Then you get into the Compass Lake type custom barrel that shoot in subminute.

Tried to practice for this on Saturday...

Was 94 and very humid..

Using the 5.45x39 Saiga and 6x32 Scope I managed a crappy 156 (which is 39%) out of 400 possible.

What I realized after I started my scope was still set for 200 yards.. :cryss: and I suck at shooting standing.. Just a slight movement and the 6x really makes things giggle...

For the 10 round / 10 min sections you have to have a mag in the well (empty) and hand feed 1 round at a time.. I shot thatose segments in like 5 mins because it was VERY hot laying on the concerete slab..

What I may do is 1st.. Reset scope to 100 yard distance.. or buy a new 3moa Red Dot and not see the darn wiggle... Most of these target 'black areas' are 4 - 4 1/2" across anyway and I know my score would come up to 7 or 8's versus 6-7 (or misses)..

The targets simulate 200 300 and 600 yard full size targets scaled down for 100 yard matches..

and you shoot standing 10 min, kneeling 60 sec with a reload, then prone 70 sec with a reload, then prone again 10 min.

The positive note was my new S308 w/21" bbl shot great even with the factory trigger before I converted it later in the day.. :super:

May try again in a few weeks and post results.. Right now its all about the S308 (Janis)... :wub:

Albert

If I remember correctly (it's been a few years since I went to Camp Perry) the rifles for NRA High Power competition have to externally match the military configuration, that is no optics or electronic sights, irons only. As already mentioned, the AR15 (aka "Mouse Gun") and the M1A are the dominant rifles. The Army Marksmenship Unit builds their own rifles, has soldiers that are assigned to clean and service them in between stages and also have dedicated "shooters" that pull the trigger. Sounds easy right? Not really. When you are shooting the actual distances (200, 300 and 600) it's not about accuracy (everybody is accurate and has the best equipment and ammo available) it's about reading the wind and determining how it will affect the bullet in flight.

There is normally a competition team from each branch of the service with the Army and Marines at the top every year. They all use the M16 platform.

The only scope you can use is a high magnification spotting scope that allows you to see the target scoring.

HoldHard

Hard Hold..

.. I was doing the Hi-Power Sporting competition version... (they allow optics).. Regular Hi-Power does not you are correct..

I may shoot without optics also just to do it.. I was practicing anyway..

Makes me appreciate those guys over in Iraq more having to lay Prone on the sand/ground..

ugghhh.. my back was yelling at me on Saturday..

Al