Double Mag Latchs?

Ok this started on another thread, but I thought it would be better brought to one of its' own. I'm sure it's been posted before, but I can't find it.

To summuerize thusfar,

BpS12 - "Whatever happen to the "double mag latch" thing? Seems that would hold any mag without moding and release with just a quick sqeeze and pull."

Heath_h49008 - "You mean putting a second latch on the front facing the other way and modding the mags with a front notch?

It would work... but the mag wouldn't drop free with a single finger, and it's more parts to fail."

BpS12 - "But the mags already have a catch on front and I don't want my mags to "drop free". I just want them to push/pull straight in/out. I don't compete and I don't have the Gov issueing new mags if I loose/break one. So my training is thereby different. All that would be needed would be to file out the current front mag catch lip on the gun and add/adjust the new lever. In theory, lol.

PS - I talking about a Bullpuped S-12 if that adds helps."

Heath_h49008 - "You understand that if EITHER of those latches is hit, the mag will rock out like it does now, right?

In a bullpup, how concerned are you about snagging on your gear and clothes?"

And to continue....

So far I haven't had this problem with the existing one. Going on a year and half, including with full tac vest on. Not saying it can't happen, just that it hasn't. Plus the front one would be partially protected given where it's at. But it is a good point to consider. Some sort of guard may be needed.

I know this came up before but I was wondering if any one has actually done it.

I currently have two S12s with just such a setup in the shop now for conversion, although one has been finished, and the other will be here shortly. They will be gone soon.

They both do have side guildes, sort of a magwell.

No, I didn't do them. The fellow who did more than likely won't be doing any more, as he has suffered a serious injury, and can't do much now.

I haven't yet decided whether or not I will do any. I do think it needs a bit of improvement, although it works as is.

The mags require no modifications. Drums won't work, but should if the guides on either side were removed.

Anyone know where I can get JUST the mag release assemblies? All I can find are the Trigger Gaurd/Mag Releases. I've got a Paintball gun project going and I figure I can try it on that first, before I do it to my Bullpup.

Well, the guns are already gone, and I'm not going to post pics or details until I decide whether I'm going to market it or not.

First, I want to be sure that there won't be any problems with the original developer, as it's not originally my design. He did it about 10yrs ago.

It does require permanent modification to the receiver in front of the magwell, and there's no going back w/o welding once it's done.

However, it works. Just shove the mag straight in, and it locks, and no mods to the mag. I couldn't try it with a drum, as it has sides, which act as a magwell, and prevent a drum from entering. It will work without the sides, you'd just have to "hit the hole" on your own.

I can appreciate that Gunfixer. My receiver is already modded(similar application that worked in theaory but not on the range). You don't have to weld it to fix it. I made a clip that works like new.

Did you get a chance to fire the weapons?

RonSwin reported seeing something similar many years ago, think the dude was from nc, but not sure. little diffent tho, the front latch wasn't a mag release, the guy had built a sliding "door" that was spring loaded. Lot less extra showing and would allow dropping the mag the same as tho it wasn't there.

Don't know how long lived it was or if it was finicky at all ... the the idea seems solid.

Here you go Shadoh, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=2200

Kmoore - Thats a thought. I tried a plate that was accuated by the mag release lever. However recoil caused both to move in the same direction and the front would drop out. A singular spring loaded front slide would keep more pressure on the mag and could drop the mag backward instead of having to rock it forward. Hmm, might even be able to make it thumb accuated. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by BpS12