Wanting a different look on my S12, but not willing to risk paint yet. Has anyone used the camo wrap tape? Don't know what its made of, but it's only supposed to stick to itself and can be removed with ease. Does the stuff look decent, or should I consider something else? Anyone tried it?

To be perfectly honest, if you mess up with the finish, you can just sand it all back off and paint it black again. Just take some pieces of wood and practice a camo design. The tape will just wear out after a while, especially if you're out in humid environments, it may hold but it won't be long till it starts peeling. It'll be much more rewarding and more creative if you do your own camo design, but it's just a thought. I think it's a risk worth taking, but take some time to practice painting patterns on little planks of wood or pieces of plastic/metal until you're comfortable and ready to move on to your gun.

Thanks, but I don't think I could bring myself to paint camo on any gun I own! It would be like trying to repaint a new car to me...LOL!I would be wrecked if I F***ed it up. If I had a beater AK I might practice on that, but i think I would rather hire someone who can paint to do it for me.

The camo tape would just be something to give me an idea if I like it, and if I don't I can just remove it I guess. Was hoping to see some pics where someone here might have used it...

Thanks, but I don't think I could bring myself to paint camo on any gun I own! It would be like trying to repaint a new car to me...LOL!I would be wrecked if I F***ed it up. If I had a beater AK I might practice on that, but i think I would rather hire someone who can paint to do it for me.

The camo tape would just be something to give me an idea if I like it, and if I don't I can just remove it I guess. Was hoping to see some pics where someone here might have used it...

If you look on Cabela's website, if you search for the camo tape, they show a rifle with it wrapped around it. It looks okay, but it's just not me, haha. You obviously can't cover any moving parts, but if you were to paint, the sky would be your limit. Again, should you screw up, just paint it all black again.

I bought and used some camo tape a long time ago before I converted my 308. It looked OK, but didn't stay on very well. It was pretty much a one day thing. It did come off with no sticky stuff left behind.

post-19654-056845500 1279331688_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrGonZo
  • Like 1

I bought and used some camo tape a long time ago before I converted my 308. It looked OK, but didn't stay on very well. It was pretty much a one day thing. It did come off with no sticky stuff left behind.

+1 for the example. But to be honest, those look like bandages with dry blood and shit stains on them that were rubbed on grass to give the green. Vivid, I know, but it's the best way for me to describe it :lolol:

• Like 1

+1 for the example. But to be honest, those look like bandages with dry blood and shit stains on them that were rubbed on grass to give the green. Vivid, I know, but it's the best way for me to describe it :lolol:

Its called mossy oak. Thats quite the imagination you've got there...021.gif021.gif

Its called mossy oak. Thats quite the imagination you've got there...021.gif021.gif

Same difference! And yes, my imaginative skills are out of this world :eek:

One advice I would give to you, if you get it refinished professionally, is get it refinished with a professional grade finish if you do so. Duracoat is a great finish if you're doing it at home but IMO it's a waste to pay a professional to do a home-grade finish.

If you get it refinished professionally, look into a professional grade finish like Cerakote, Moly Resin, etc. The difference in cost is usually very minimal, I paid $185 for a full rifle refinished with Cerakote from Customized Creationz in Michigan. Most of the "professionals" doing Duracoat charge that almost much anyway.

My advice is to go to fotoflexer.com and take a picture of your gun and google a picture of camo and upload them. I did this to get a good look at what my tac vest might look like. You can check that picture out in the topic "5.11 V-tac vest" under General Discussion.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1