Someone MUST have though up this one before, i'm just checking....

When I converted my x 39, I replaced the front handguard with a MI quadrail one. This made the Gas Block visible, that was covered by the stock handguard, and on the bottom of it, are 2 small pins going thru the bottom that used to hold on the front of the handguard. Now, I just noticed that the MI quad rail guard has a hole for a cleaning rod in it, under the barrel.

Has anyone thought of a way, using the small pins that are now just hanging there under the gas block, to attach a cleaning rod, using a small loop or something attached to the 2 small pins? Seems like it would be pretty easy to make a small part that would mount to those and hold the front of a cleaning rod under the barrel.

i'll post pix to add to this when I get home to show folks what I am talking about...

Edited by icefire

Sorry. . . I can't take you seriously until you get a haircut.

wow...so unless I look, think, and act like YOU I'm not to be taken seriously? ... whatever, guy.

Edited by icefire

Pics would help, but I agree that a boresnake is a wonderful item. I store mine in a SAW grip.

Yes, the snakes are great for cleaning.

But, My idea here is to mount the rod under the barrel in the traditional AK place for looks more than anything...here is a pic of the pins that were left after changing the front handguard. A u-shaped loop or c-shaped piece with holes to go over the pin ends might hold the front end of the cleaning rod in the right place..

.I'll post another pic in a follow-up post of the cleaning rod hole in the MI quad rail forward guard...i think this might work for anyone who has freed up those pins, might have to drill a rod hole for some front handguards...

gallery_22253_427_36741.jpg

Yes, the snakes are great for cleaning.

But, My idea here is to mount the rod under the barrel in the traditional AK place for looks more than anything...here is a pic of the pins that were left after changing the front handguard. A u-shaped loop or c-shaped piece with holes to go over the pin ends might hold the front end of the cleaning rod in the right place..

.I'll post another pic in a follow-up post of the cleaning rod hole in the MI quad rail forward guard...i think this might work for anyone who has freed up those pins, might have to drill a rod hole for some front handguards...

gallery_22253_427_36741.jpg

Here is the hole in the Midwest Industries saiga quad rail for a cleaning rod. I think if a loop held it on the pins, the other end could go into the hole, and it would be in place just like other AK variants...Very easy to do by cutting down the longer saiga cleaning rod, or picking up another AK rod, and fabricating something to go over the ends of those 2 pins...i'm going to work on it...I'll post pics when completed..

gallery_22253_427_15431.jpg