Going with aftermarket stock

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wont get my panties in a bunch, I too have a job and it is the type that requires understanding the difference between then and than so $300 certainly isn't going to break (I also have to know the d

Imo, the Ace stocks and folding mechs work very well.   For the vast majority of Saiga owners, the major receiver modifications required to install the type of stock Sal so highly recommends are not

I have the same question...     the inability for the ace stock to store things is really not an issue for me.. if i am going to be out with the weapon for an extended period of time I have a pack,

Posted Images

You don't need a backplate if you're not planning to weld. What you need is an internal receiver block. Here's a great one from CSS. Buying from CSS means that if you order this part tonight, you'll receive it yesterday. ;)

Keep in mind that in order to use an internal block, you will have to cut the tang off your rifle's rear trunnion. There are external blocks you can use if you're not comfortable with cutting the tang, (e.g. if you're queer or somethin). :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

There are a lot of members who choose the ACE rout... When you gain more knowledge about the platform and need a new rear trunnion to replace the ACE monstrosity, shoot me a PM. I have done two proper comm block sidefolders and have two great condition replacement trunnions for anyone who has chopped their kit up looking for the cheap-thrill of the "tacticool mall-ninja-esq-ness". I would be happy to sell or trade them. Good Luck!

Edited by bigsal

There are a lot of members who choose the ACE rout... When you gain more knowledge about the platform and need a new rear trunnion to replace the ACE monstrosity, shoot me a PM. I have done two proper comm block sidefolders and have two great condition replacement trunnions for anyone who has chopped their kit up looking for the cheap-thrill of the "tacticool mall-ninja-esq-ness". I would be happy to sell or trade them. Good Luck!

What's wrong with Ace style stock set ups? They are definitely a huge step up from stuff such as the Tapco AK Folding Stock. When it comes to proper AK-74M style set ups, the stock, trunnion and installation cost as much as the friggin' rifle. Supposed to be a huge PITA if you do it yourself, unless you are extremely skilled and handy.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I just installed a DPH Skeleton Stock to an Ace folding mechanism to a CSS Internal Receiver Block. I am extremely happy with it. The Ace folding mechanism is very solid and worth the money I paid for it. I recommend going with an internal block.

They are definitely a huge step up from stuff such as the Tapco AK Folding Stock.

Agreed! But they are a huge step down from ether a triangle folder (low end functionality) or the proper Poly folder (high end functionality).

When it comes to proper AK-74M style set ups, the stock, trunnion and installation cost as much as the friggin' rifle. Supposed to be a huge PITA if you do it yourself, unless you are extremely skilled and handy.

I agree! However, sometimes you need to spend money to reach maximum efficiency. When you learn this you will have taken a big step into a wider world.

Imo, the Ace stocks and folding mechs work very well.

For the vast majority of Saiga owners, the major receiver modifications required to install the type of stock Sal so highly recommends are not worth the slight advantage in functionality it provides. They're also expensive as hell, (especially if you pay to have the work done). If you have the cash and want your rifle as mil-spec as possible, go for it.

Personally, I don't want to cut the rear trunnion of my SGL21; so I just use the plum K-Var warsaw stock she came with. The weapon's short enough that it doesn't need a folding stock. However, I wanted a folding stock on my S-12, since it's a shotgun and has a 19" barrel. I decided to use the Ace Ultra Lite stock, Ace push-button folder, and an Ace internal block. Everything is holding up extremely well so far at ~2000 shells fired. I've had no malfunctions of any kind.

Here's some pics of my S-12:

stock21.jpg

stock41z.jpg

handguard3.jpg

• Like 2

For the vast majority of Saiga owners, the major receiver modifications required to install the type of stock Sal so highly recommends are not worth the slight advantage in functionality it provides.

Interesting point, but I'll take the "slight advantage". :super:

I mean come on guys, $250 for the poly stock and hardware or $99 for the triangle plus $200 to have it installed and refinished (this is important to all you SGL-20 owners) is just a drop in the bucket compared to the years of service these rifles will provide. For the average guy, I would recommend a K-Var poly standard set over one of those ACE style units. I do agree with some of the above posters who correctly compare the ACE favorably to the Tapco folder. However there are numerous better choices. Anyway enough said.

post-9648-070642200 1280723107_thumb.jpg

post-9648-031283500 1280723142_thumb.jpg

A Saiga .223 with AR magwell adapter? Interesting... :031:

I'm no fan of the caliber, (doesn't penetrate cover well enough or have effective terminal velocity at ranges > 100yrds with a barrel < 20" imo), but that is a cool mod. :up:

I'm no fan of the caliber, (doesn't penetrate cover well enough or have effective terminal velocity at ranges > 100yrds with a barrel < 20" imo), but that is a cool mod. :up:

I was from Connecticut and it was illegal to have an AK in 7.62x39. When I moved to AZ I had to make my rifle 'evil' so I put a folding stock on it. Plus the magwell works pretty damn good (and saved me the cost of new mags). I just wish the manufacturer was a little more reliable.

ETA: No one makes a 6.8mm AK yet either. :super:

Edited by Tacticool

I was from Connecticut and it was illegal to have an AK in 7.62x39. When I moved to AZ I had to make my rifle 'evil' so I put a folding stock on it. Plus the magwell works pretty damn good (and saved me the cost of new mags). I just wish the manufacturer was a little more reliable.

Gotcha. Sounds about right for a northeastern state. :evil:

If I were to buy a Saiga .223, that magwell would interest me. I'm sure it facilitates very fast reloads. That's good, cause you'll need more rounds of .223, (than you would 7.62x39), to eliminate any given threat. :haha:

I agree! However, sometimes you need to spend money to reach maximum efficiency. When you learn this you will have taken a big step into a wider world.

And some times the diminishing returns and marginal gains of the extra money and/or effort mean it is not worth it. There are items and areas where I'll go all out just because I really want to and others where I stop shy of "maximum efficiency" at the "plenty good enough for my uses" level. Often times the latter really is the more prudent course.

ETA: No one makes a 6.8mm AK yet either. :super:

Although that would be cool, I think I'd still prefer the AK in 7.62x39; the caliber Kalashnikov originally designed the rifle for. 7.62x39 is extremely effective, (against both soft targets and cover), at ~300 yrds or less. It's also a helluva lot cheaper than 6.8mm SPC. :D

The way I look at it, if I need to be effective at longer ranges, a .308 rifle, (which Izhmash does make), is a better option.

ymmv.

And some times the diminishing returns and marginal gains of the extra money and/or effort mean it is not worth it. There are items and areas where I'll go all out just because I really want to and others where I stop shy of "maximum efficiency" at the "plenty good enough for my uses" level. Often times the latter really is the more prudent course.

Good point, but an extra few hundred dollars does not brake the bank for me. Than again, I have a job. Good luck with all your endeavors. :super:

Good point, but an extra few hundred dollars does not brake the bank for me. Than again, I have a job. Good luck with all your endeavors. :super:

Bigsal, I actually look forward to your replies to stuff like this! You are a Kalashnikov Snob and proud of it (I sincerely mean that in the nicest way possible). Rock on! :super:

It's also a helluva lot cheaper than 6.8mm SPC. :D

Yup, can't argue with that.

The way I look at it, if I need to be effective at longer ranges, a .308 rifle, (which Izhmash does make), is a better option.

ymmv.

Unfortunately I can't afford a 7.62x39 just yet, :( but that does remind me, I do have a 21" bbl .308 that needs some lovin'... :wub:.

Bigsal, I actually look forward to your replies to stuff like this! You are a Kalashnikov Snob and proud of it (I sincerely mean that in the nicest way possible). Rock on! :super:

I really should go back and edit that before the lad gets his panties in a bunch. I do prefer the finer things in life... thats why I live in Idaho. :lolol:

Well I decided to go with the external mounting block so I could switch back to a traditional stock if and when I want to. I actually like it allot , and even like the length of it just sits better on my shoulder than my other 5.45 with the poly stock.

Yeah not the best looking with the external block but it leaves me with options that way.

DSCF2383.jpg

I really should go back and edit that before the lad gets his panties in a bunch. I do prefer the finer things in life... thats why I live in Idaho

I wont get my panties in a bunch, I too have a job and it is the type that requires understanding the difference between then and than so $300 certainly isn't going to break (I also have to know the difference between brake and break) me. :haha:

• Like 4

I really should go back and edit that before the lad gets his panties in a bunch. I do prefer the finer things in life... thats why I live in Idaho

I wont get my panties in a bunch, I too have a job and it is the type that requires understanding the difference between then and than so $300 certainly isn't going to break (I also have to know the difference between brake and break) me. :haha:

+1 for a fantastic retort!

It was in response to this demonstration of genius in post #18

Good point, but an extra few hundred dollars does not brake the bank for me.

Apologies if English is your second or perhaps third language. Also apologies if you truly meant that it will not stop or slow the bank. I shouldn't tease (even if it is not serious) I remember that heterographs gave me hell until I was about 13.

Edited by Zambidis

just because you choose an ace stock should not lump you into the "tacticool" segment of things.. I have the ACE stock and love it.. I bought it because it is rock solid, and extremely high quality.. there is ZERO movement in it.. you should really ditch the whole elitist attitude.. as long as the weapon functions well for the user.. and is made of high quality reliable parts.. that should be the concern..

just because you choose an ace stock should not lump you into the "tacticool" segment of things.. I have the ACE stock and love it.. I bought it because it is rock solid, and extremely high quality.. there is ZERO movement in it.. you should really ditch the whole elitist attitude.. as long as the weapon functions well for the user.. and is made of high quality reliable parts.. that should be the concern..

Uncomfy, cannot hold a field cleaning kit, weighs more than the triangle folder etc etc etc... Nothing elitist about wanting the best. Of course in NJ, you are somewhat limited to begin with, and cannot use a proper poly folder anyway.

...just because you choose an ace stock should not lump you into the "tacticool" segment of things.. I have the ACE stock and love it.. I bought it because it is rock solid, and extremely high quality.. there is ZERO movement in it.. you should really ditch the whole elitist attitude.. as long as the weapon functions well for the user.. and is made of high quality reliable parts.. that should be the concern..

Uncomfy, cannot hold a field cleaning kit, weighs more than the triangle folder etc etc etc... Nothing elitist about wanting the best. Of course in NJ, you are somewhat limited to begin with, and cannot use a proper poly folder anyway.

"Uncomfy"? My ACE provides the most comfortable cheek weld of any stock I own. The recoil pad is also excellent. I haven't weighed the two side-by-side, but I'd bet my "Ultra Lite" model, (which shrugs off 12-ga recoil), weighs no more than that sheet-metal triange folder.

To each his own, but quit gratuitously trashing ACE, Sal. ;)