22 LR conversion kit for Saiga-308!!

How hard would it be to make a 22 LR conversion kit for the Saiga-308?

Would one of the existing AK (full length?) kits work? would it need a different bolt? I figure a saiga-specific barrel/feed ramp insert would be needed, but I don't know.

Maybe a mag adapter like BattlerifleG3's can be made so as to allow inserting some high-cap 10/22 mags? No, too wide for the magwell.

How about some Ruger MkII mags, or some of the Marlin mags?

Versatility and adaptability wins the evolution game!

What do you guys think of the idea? Of the possibility of making it a reality?

C-

Edited by cpileri

Don't think much of any commercial kit would be of any use. The .308 bolt, carrier, return spring ect. would all need to be replaced. Final kit would use little of the.308, and cost twice what an AK22 goes for. Those are going for $150-$275 depending on wich one.

G O B

Whaddayamean 'why'? VERSATILITY!

Coolness?

Just because we can.

Cheap handling practice.

Easily suppressed ammo now that threaded adapters are becoming available.

Any reason is good enough, Man! :)

Of course, a new, lighter bolt, etc will be needed. So i am asking if any of the current kits will work, ro even if a few parts will work. ANd what is the feasibility of making the other ones?

OK, fine. How about a single shot? or a manually cycled 'bolt action'?

Ideas?

C-

would 30carbine work down the barrel? whats the actual measurement on it? or what about even a 7.62x39 conversion? that might be doable. both would involve chamber inserts (how one would get them to stay in place is the question) and the 30 carbine would need a different bolt face as well.

22LR you have to make a barrel insert that is offset, if you plan to build up an existing bolt, and i dont think there is enough room to do that......maybe.....you would definately need some sort of barrel insert and a means of locking it into place, like a threaded muzzle. drop it down the barrel and there you go.

its an interesting project idea.

Because we can?

Cheap handling practice?

Standard threads for attachments?

1. Take a 10-22 (or other 22 rifle of your choice)

2. Mount furniture and weights in order to mimic the handling of the S-308 (If you REALLY want such a thing I'll try to develop one IF I can cough up the time... talk to me)

3. Thread the barrel forAK attachments.

7.62-39 would be a lot easier. Mainly just need to fabricate a magazine adapter, use a commercially available chamber adapter, and maybe a 7.62-39 bolt, as the .308 (7.62 NATO) rim is slightly larger in diameter.

The .22LR conversion would need the chamber adapter to 7.63-39 anyway, so maybe you can get a two-fer!

Hey if this conversion floats your right YOU GOT A RIGHT! Frankenmachinery is allways cool! Franken guns are especially cool! I would get an AK-.22 myself, but that is my thing-I would rather spend less and have more guns! You do what pushes your happy button! :smoke:

G O B

7.62x39 = .311

7.62x51 = .308

Don't think that would be a good idea unless you handloaded it yourself or found some commercial ammo, still wouldn't be as cheap as Wolf. I think a good caliber conversion would be 300 Fireball/Whisper, same bullet diameter, 5.56 bolt head. Of course, that would be better served by a .223 rebarrelled to 300 Fireball. Gas system might need some work as well.

300 Whisper stuff

more whisper stuff

Some day.... When I have a machine shop at my disposal.... And loads of time...

I'll work on the Big 50 AK for you. :rolleyes:

Edit:

Actually I'd probably try one in 30-06 (or 8mm-06) using BAR magazines first, but I would try to get to it eventually.

As far as the 22lr conversion goes, I'm all for it. It'll take a lot of work, but the cheap practice would be worth it. I'd advise taking a look at the other 22lr conversion kits that are out there and seeing what is done to make them work. Don't let anyone get you down if it's what you want to do cpileri.

Edited by Tokageko