I don't know if you consider a muzzle brake as part of a complete conversion but then I wondered if all Saiga barrels were unthreaded or are there some that actually are? Figured this is the place to ask.

Some 7.62x39 Saigas from March batch were reported to be threaded for 14LH..

They had 'dimpled' receivers, non-stepped chambers, and had the grooves cut in the bbl where a regular AK handguard retainer would slide onto..

Most other types are not.

DinZag (site sponsor) rents a threading kit for ALL versions of the Saiga rifles..

Hope this helps

Albert

The 5.45 as far as I have ever heard, and the one I converted, does NOT have threads under the sight block. This is most likely because the military ones have threads on the sight block itself and they are 24x1.5mm threads. So, as far as I know, none of the 5.45 barrels are ever threaded at the factory for any of the weapons they put them in. That said, mine did have the grooves for the retainer already on it from the factory. I figure they probably put identical barrels in all of their 5.45 builds, regardless of where they are going, as this would make costs cheaper because they don't have to produce anything different for them. Odds are they hare probably started doing this for the 7.62 as well, explaining the threads already there, and the grooves in them too. It is much cheaper to produce every single barrel identically than it is to switch it up and have some in different configurations.

• 3 weeks later...