Gas ports

I know this topic is talked about all the time but I'm asking anyhow. There was a thread the other day about the gas ports being to small. (I'm sure others saw it) It got me wondering though I never knew how many mine had I just knew mine has eaten everything I have put in it (except Wolf target loads) like a kid from a third world country who was just introduced to Little Debbie snack cakes. I was getting ready for a day of shooting when I decided to check my ports just to know because as long as it shoots well that's really all that matters. I noticed where my plug would be seated in the tube there is a circle about 1/4" in diameter with what I'm assuming is a gas port in the center. That's the thing I was wondering there is just one dead center of that circle. Like I said it shoots fine so I'm happy it's more that I just want to know.

Take a bent paper clip or bent dental pick and move it around the gas block hole (the 1/4 inch hole you're referring to). You could have anywhere between 2-4 ports in your gun, with more like 3 or 4 ports. Now if you have a 3 port gun you should be able to put a 3/32 drill bit or similar diameter wire/object in each port hole. If it doesn't fit you more than likely have an under gassed gun. If you have a 4 port gun the port size should be able to fit a 5/64 bit or similar diameter wire/object. If these don't fit then again you could possibly have an under gassed gun.

If you're gun is shooting fine I wouldn't mess with it. Continue to shoot high brass/magnum loads in it to give it a good break in. If it acts up then you may want to address the ports.

Edit: More specific.

Edited by ErikTaylor

I haven't tried fitting any thing in the one I can see but eyeballing it about the size of 3/32 bit. The one I see is plain as day dead center I will try the paper clip after I put her through the paces tomorow. Like I said though never had a problem really guess I just wanted a little more knowledge. As long as that beauty goes boom when I pull that trigger I'm happy man.

• 1 month later...

OK, been having the same issues as everyone else, I just need to know what the appropriate diameter for a 3 port barrel. According to your post it should be at 3/32 but I can't fit that in the port. I can fit the 5/64 and it seems to be the exact size. Does this mean I need to drill it out to 3/32. I have been having some FTE problems since day one and am almost at my wits end. I really like the S12 but I need it to be reliable if I'm going to keep her.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Drill em out to 3/32. (.093") I had three 5/64" ports originally. I drilled them out to 3/32 and added a fourth at 5/64". My gun is unstoppable now.

For those of you who have enlarged the gas ports do you find the gun kicks more? My S12 would not cycle reliably until I opened up the gas ports. Now it seems to kick more.

Another way to tell how many effective gas ports you have (besides complete dis-assembly) is to shoot a bunch of rounds (100+) through your weapon, then remove the gas plug, and look at the carbon deposits. The gas ports that are functioning properly will leave carbon deposits on the gas plug, as seen it the following pic:

IMG00029-20101009-1425.jpg

This is a terrible cell phone pic, but my 3 port rifle leaves a carbon imprint on the gas plug as follows: the bottom of the equilateral triangle on the bottom (6 o'clock), the top 2 gas ports are along the top (11 and 1 o'clock). The 6 and 1 marks are the most visible in this crappy pic.

On position "1" my saiga 12 reliably cycles 00 buck, and that's all I really care about...

Edited by Plan.B

Drilled them out to 3/32 and polished around the opening where the holes are. I had previously polished the bolt, and everything that has contact with the bolt as it slides. I reassembled everything and am looking forward to testing it out this weekend. Wish me luck.