Hey guys, i'm new to the site and this is my first post. I recently bought a 2009 Saiga AK-47 at a local gun show, and I wanted to thread the barrel. I've read all the posts in the thread, and I have a few questions. Can you thread the 2009 version barrel? I can see there is a shroud around the barrel that needs to come off, but does anyone know if the barrel diameter is the right size for muzzle breaks or did they size down the barrel? Also, how much did the threading machine cost to rent? Thanks for the advice.

I started my conversion yesterday, I got the rivets drilled out, filed down, and everything dropped out. I took a power drill with a wire wheel to the bare metal below the sporter plate to clean it up. I then spray painted with automotive bare metal primer and flat black, and baked it. Its turned out great now I gotta wait for my parts to get here and finish it up. Ive got a Hogue tan PG comming, and a RAM trigger guard with the Tromix FCG. I also ordered a Surefire 30rd mag, and a Russian American Armory scope rail.

post-26539-073422800 1283451958_thumb.jpg

post-26539-085479100 1283452024_thumb.jpg

Tacked picture thread? Whats that?

Btw - I've got a list of the upgrades I would like to get, if anyone on here has any feedback or reviews for any of these let me know

- Tan Midwest Industries aluminum Handguard

- Tan CAA Butt-Stock

- Tromix Charging Handle

- UTG Saw Grip Aluminum

- Buffer Pad

This is pretty much what I'm looking to getting when I get some extra spending cash. Let me know what you think.

So.....I just got a rebate back from school, $372 HELL YEA. I went ahead and ordered the CAA Buttstock, the buffer pad, and the charging handle. Woot woot, so excited can't wait until they get here.

On another note, I was reading a different thread a minute ago about factory threaded military barrels. I think I may have lucked out and gotten one of these guns. I have a '09 7.62 with the receiver dimples, no case step down, and the hand guard notches cut in my barrel. I think I can see the start of a thread under the barrel shroud. Hopefully there are already threads! We shall see. I'm pretty much rambling to myself on this thread but oh well, its cool to track my progression.

• Like 1

So.....I just got a rebate back from school, $372 HELL YEA. I went ahead and ordered the CAA Buttstock, the buffer pad, and the charging handle. Woot woot, so excited can't wait until they get here.

On another note, I was reading a different thread a minute ago about factory threaded military barrels. I think I may have lucked out and gotten one of these guns. I have a '09 7.62 with the receiver dimples, no case step down, and the hand guard notches cut in my barrel. I think I can see the start of a thread under the barrel shroud. Hopefully there are already threads! We shall see. I'm pretty much rambling to myself on this thread but oh well, its cool to track my progression.

Welcome aboard ZoPo,

The tacked picture threads are a dedicated thread created within each Saiga caliber that is just for pictures (preferably not talking) of that caliber weapon members own, built, etc [ie, a thread for 762x39, 308, 545, each shotgun gauge, etc]

Congrats on the extra $$$$. Take time to read through various threads on the various alum railed handguards - there is at least one brand that has caused functioning problems (dont recall if SG or rifles)

Also, note that CAA may likely be Israeli made - so that counts against you on the 922R math quiz YES, you will need to pass that quiz!

Cheers,Harv

• Like 1