2.5" mag explanation

Ok. Did some searching, trying to confirm if I understand the 2.5" shell issue & the reasons a 3" gun won`t handle them. If a gun is labeled 3" the gun doesn`t have an adjustable gas system & will FTF when firing 2.5" shells(short-stroke). Also, the mag issue plays in as well because the 3" mags don`t have the raised 'bump' in the rear of the follower that sets the 2.5" shells to the front of the mag(as do the Russian 2.5" mags). Now if a person has a .410 w/ a gas adjustment do they still need the 2.5" mags? If that`s the case then would it be possible to change out mag followers to make the 3" mags work w/ 2.5" shells? Hope I got all this straight, TIA for any info.

Edited by Fortis

..... If a gun is labeled 3" the gun doesn`t have an adjustable gas system...

I haven't seen a gun labeled 2 1/2" (64mm). There are some older original .410's that have a "fixed" or not adjustable gas system and all the ones I have seen are all labeled 3" (76mm).

.... the mag issue plays in as well because the 3" mags don`t have the raised 'bump' in the rear of the follower that sets the 2.5" shells to the front of the mag....

The 2 1/2" (64mm) Mags have a guide in the back, as well as longer feed lips. The physical outside dimensions of the mag are the same as the 3" (76mm) mag, so that the 2 1/2" (63mm) mag will fit in the 3" gun.

Now if a person has a .410 w/ a gas adjustment do they still need the 2.5" mags?

No. 2 1/2" mags are hard to find. All of the aftermarket mags I have seen are 3".

If that`s the case then would it be possible to change out mag followers to make the 3" mags work w/ 2.5" shells?

Not likely to be able to make this mod work. You would have to add to the feed lips as well as find a way internally to keep the shells pushed toward the front of the mag. The bump on the follower would not be enough to keep the shells forward.

Start with the gun. If it's not cycling properly it will have an even harder time with the lighter loads of the 2 1/2" shells.

The only advantages to the 2 1/2" shells are they are much easier to find at a local store and they are slightly less expensive. Your Saiga .410 was designed around the 3" shells, like the Russian Silver Bears or Golden Bears with metal hulls. The 2 1/2" factory mags I just got are made and labeled specifically for use with American manufactured plastic shells.

Tick I am looking forward to doing some experimenting with this in my older model 3" only gun with non adjustable gas system. I did some mods on some of the earlier SGM 10 rd mags and was able to get some 2.5" shells to feed.

After this extremely busy month winds to a close, we should get together and see what we can come up with. Your gun even has a better chance because mine had some "custom gunsmithing" done to it before I got it, by some bubbafied idiot who shortened the barrel hood by almost 1/4" :rolleyes::killer:

Another member has a thread on the 2.5 mags w/awsome pics ......I got mine in and it tested well with win 2.5 hs .

I wont add a link to the e-store that carried the mag as they dont advertise here so %$$%#$ them.

You can find them If you google saiga 410 mag .

I'm in NC. also Cobra , eastern , near Bath . If we are close, we need to get together sometime and shoot up the woods .:lolol:

Edited by {ROS}_me

Appreciate the replies. Reason for the post is I have a friend who`s wife recently got a Saiga .410 & was disappointed that she can`t shoot the cheaper 2.5" shot loads for trap through a higher cap mag. I know this subject`s been dealt w/ & I did some searching but just wanted to confirm that I had it understood.

.....I am looking forward to doing some experimenting with this in my older model 3" only gun with non adjustable gas system....

Cobra, maybe you can help clarify the 2 1/2" only Saiga .410. Does one exist?

Another member has a thread on the 2.5 mags w/awsome pics ......I got mine in and it tested well with win 2.5 hs .

I wont add a link to the e-store that carried the mag as they dont advertise here so %$%#$ them.

I'm in NC. also Cobra , eastern , near Bath . If we are close, we need to get together sometime and shoot up the woods .:lolol:

I'm up near Raleigh man, let me know if ya ever come a couple hours west.

:smoke:

I wont add a link to the e-store that carried the mag as they dont advertise here so %$%#$ them.

I'm up near Raleigh man, let me know if ya ever come a couple hours west.

:smoke:

I lived in raleigh for years , still go back and forth to my ol house in angier ,so one of these trips I will have to take you up on that visit.

Just had a tapco stock follow me home ........already installed and tested :lolol:

I guess I will have to add a few more usa parts now :super: Damm , who didn't see that coming :smoke: