Flashhider/Brake Options for a Saigunov?

Hi guys. I finally broke in my 22" S308 and decided to keep it. I had reservations about it at first, because it seemed a lot less accurate than I had hoped, but now it seems that it was the issue with the sights I was using and me getting used to shooting a more powerful caliber. I took her out yesterday with a brand new 6x POSP and was shooting 1.5" 100 yard groups, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Any way, I talked to a local gunsmith and he said that he will chop off the barrel down to 19", recrown and thread it for me for $125. It seems like a fair deal and I decided to go for it. He told me to just pick up the flash hider that I want and he will make the threads work for it. This seemed a little strange to me, due to the sizing issues. Is he full of shit or is this really how it works?

Any way, I need some recommendations on flash hiders and where to get them. I suppose that I would prefer something authentic SVD looking, but if there's something out there that works better, be it flash hider or brake, I would consider that too.

So, what are my options? Thanks!

I had my Saiga cut back to 18" and had the barrel done in a 5/8"-24 Right-Hand thread. It is the 'standard' .308 pattern done on most AR-10 pattern guns. So there are a bunch of muzzle attachment options: Vortex, YHM Phantom, etc. Although the AK/SVD pattern muzzle attachments are limited in that thread pattern if you want a PSL/Dragunov clone.

I would be a tad concerned about the lack of detail from your smith. While most flash hiders can be made to work, you want to keep the muzzle threads as large as possible within reason. While it is possible to mount a 1/2"-28 (AR-15 pattern thread) on a S-308, the muzzle is getting pretty thin which can affect accuracy. Even on 9mm pistol barrels, which many thread to 1/2"-28, the muzzle can open up if there is no muzzle attachment on while being fired. The 9mm really needs the support of a thread protector or suppressor, so it can only be worst on a .308. 14/1mm LH (standard AK-47 thread) will work as well, especially if you want an AK/SVD pattern muzzle attachment.

I had my done concentric to the bore for use with a YHM Phantom .308 quick detach sound suppressor. It ran me about $200 for the work (thread, cut, rework/repin front sight). This is my version of what I wanted out of a PSL and I can get much better ammunition (Tula for blasting, Fed GMM for accuracy testing). I used to have an IOR M2 4x scope on it, but I traded it off. So I need to get another optic on there. I am thinking a Vortex 2-7x with a BDC reticle.

3613941113_13fc027f67_z.jpg?zz=1

I'm currently thinking about this one: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-551/AK47-AK74-FLASH-HIDER/Detail

and

this one: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-550/AK47-SAIGA-SVD-STYLE/Detail

Are these good choices? Are there any potential issues with them? Thanks.

EDIT: The M60 flash hider looks good to me as well. Any experiences with that one?

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I had my Saiga cut back to 18" and had the barrel done in a 5/8"-24 Right-Hand thread. It is the 'standard' .308 pattern done on most AR-10 pattern guns. So there are a bunch of muzzle attachment options: Vortex, YHM Phantom, etc. Although the AK/SVD pattern muzzle attachments are limited in that thread pattern if you want a PSL/Dragunov clone.

I would be a tad concerned about the lack of detail from your smith. While most flash hiders can be made to work, you want to keep the muzzle threads as large as possible within reason. While it is possible to mount a 1/2"-28 (AR-15 pattern thread) on a S-308, the muzzle is getting pretty thin which can affect accuracy. Even on 9mm pistol barrels, which many thread to 1/2"-28, the muzzle can open up if there is no muzzle attachment on while being fired. The 9mm really needs the support of a thread protector or suppressor, so it can only be worst on a .308. 14/1mm LH (standard AK-47 thread) will work as well, especially if you want an AK/SVD pattern muzzle attachment.

I had my done concentric to the bore for use with a YHM Phantom .308 quick detach sound suppressor. It ran me about $200 for the work (thread, cut, rework/repin front sight). This is my version of what I wanted out of a PSL and I can get much better ammunition (Tula for blasting, Fed GMM for accuracy testing). I used to have an IOR M2 4x scope on it, but I traded it off. So I need to get another optic on there. I am thinking a Vortex 2-7x with a BDC reticle.

3613941113_13fc027f67_z.jpg?zz=1

So, the 5/8X24 RH (AR10 style) is the best option? 14x1 mm is a bit too small for an S308?

That be correct. Go 5/8 for threading.

I went 17m via DinZag thread rental and then ordered a brake in 5/8" and had him ream/thread to 17m for me..

AR-10 Mickulek Type Brake was $60 and Thread Kit was $30... No plan to ever change to another sooo.. I am happy..

Al

That be correct. Go 5/8 for threading.

I went 17m via DinZag thread rental and then ordered a brake in 5/8" and had him ream/thread to 17m for me..

AR-10 Mickulek Type Brake was $60 and Thread Kit was $30... No plan to ever change to another sooo.. I am happy..

Al

17x1 RH is the largest size thread you can get on an S308? It's 17 mm, right? 5/8" is 15.88 mm.

Here's the deal, for anyone who finds this thread using Google or whatever, looking for the same answers as I was.

When you unpin and remove your Saiga 308's FSB (Front Sight Block), you may discover either of the two different barrel diameters under there:

1) 0.671" diameter. Best (largest) thread size for this is M17x1 RH (17x1 mm Right Hand). Unfortunately, it is not a very common thread pattern and you will be limited, as far the muzzle attachments you can get for it. Though, there are M17x1 to M24x1 (AK-74 standard) adapters available and you can also have someone mod (re-thread) 5/8"x24 (AR10 standard) attachments for you, in order for them to fit.

2) 0.631" diameter. Best thread size for this is 5/8"x24, which is standard size for AR10 muzzle attachments and there are a lot of choices available.

In addition, Dinzag now rents out muzzle cutter kits, which allow you to thread for whatever you want: http://www.dinzagarms.com/tools/mcr.html