FSB Removal

I've been trying to remove my FSB off my Saiga .308 per Dinzags instructions. He dictated that you just tap out the 2 holding pins with a tap and a hammer. I've been going at it for a day with a tap and hammer. I've already broken one tap and the pins aren't budging. I'm assuming the pins are bi-directional and come out either way. I noticed the non-cocking hammer side is more recessed. My last resort would be to try and drill them out, but then I would be stuck trying to find a replacement pin. Is there something simple I'm missing?

I used a brad nail and then tapped FROM the bolt handle side. Came right out for me. took 3 minutes..

I then just pulled on the FSB with my hand gave a TWIST and pulled mine off.

Can read here from the top..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56854&view=getnewpost

Al

Not everyone has the type of barrel you have and that is why it came out easily.... Most of these barrels the FSB are pressed on, when I tried mine I hammered & hammered & hammered and nothing it would not budge.. As AL stated the pins themselves should pop right out, the issue you are really going to have is to remove the FSB itself....

I used a brad nail and then tapped FROM the bolt handle side. Came right out for me. took 3 minutes..

I then just pulled on the FSB with my hand gave a TWIST and pulled mine off.

Can read here from the top..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56854&view=getnewpost

Al

Not everyone has the type of barrel you have and that is why it came out easily.... Most of these barrels the FSB are pressed on, when I tried mine I hammered & hammered & hammered and nothing it would not budge.. As AL stated the pins themselves should pop right out, the issue you are really going to have is to remove the FSB itself....

So what is the solution to removing that type of FSB? I read Al's post, but it seems like he does have a different FSB than mine. Mine has the cap on the front like in dinzags instrucions. However according to dinzag, you hammer out the pins and hammer off the FSB. I'm not getting much success just hammering out the pins and I suspect that I'll have the same problem hammering out the FSB.

I've soaked the pins with WD40, (all I had on hand). If you've had success soaking with PB blaster, I'll try to find some. However I am leery of using a blow torch since the pins are very close to the barrel.

So what is the solution to removing that type of FSB? I read Al's post, but it seems like he does have a different FSB than mine. Mine has the cap on the front like in dinzags instrucions. However according to dinzag, you hammer out the pins and hammer off the FSB. I'm not getting much success just hammering out the pins and I suspect that I'll have the same problem hammering out the FSB.

I've soaked the pins with WD40, (all I had on hand). If you've had success soaking with PB blaster, I'll try to find some. However I am leery of using a blow torch since the pins are very close to the barrel.

I believe that the pins are removed from left to right looking down the muzzle so put the rifle down on it's left side, are you sure you are using the right size punch? I use something that looks like a ice pick with a rounded tip...

I believe that the pins are removed from left to right looking down the muzzle so put the rifle down on it's left side, are you sure you are using the right size punch? I use something that looks like a ice pick with a rounded tip...

Are you sure the pins are tapered? I've actually been hammering it from right to left as you've described, but I did try it left to right today (no results) and I'm starting to notice if anything the right side is larger than the left. The pins on my gas block seems to be a straight pin though.

I think I'll have to resort to drilling the pin out.

Are you sure the pins are tapered? I've actually been hammering it from right to left as you've described, but I did try it left to right today (no results) and I'm starting to notice if anything the right side is larger than the left. The pins on my gas block seems to be a straight pin though.

Mine came right out, they should NOT be tapered and should come out in either direction... Do you have pics of both sides?

Mine came right out, they should NOT be tapered and should come out in either direction... Do you have pics of both sides?

Turns out my problem was I clamped the rifle to a wooden table and the wood was absorbing the shock. I stacked a set of bricks, pressed the rifle on top and gave it a whack with a tap starter and the pins started moving. Unfortunately, I had broken the normal tap earlier so the pins are just sitting halfway out. I'll visit the hardware store tomorrow to get another set of taps, but I'm having trouble finding a brass tap to move the FSB. What did you end up doing to move the FSB?

Turns out my problem was I clamped the rifle to a wooden table and the wood was absorbing the shock. I stacked a set of bricks, pressed the rifle on top and gave it a whack with a tap starter and the pins started moving. Unfortunately, I had broken the normal tap earlier so the pins are just sitting halfway out. I'll visit the hardware store tomorrow to get another set of taps, but I'm having trouble finding a brass tap to move the FSB. What did you end up doing to move the FSB?

Doh.bmp

LOL, it happens.... Now as far as the removal of the FSB, you are on your own, I was unable to remove mine, maybe someone can chime in and make a good recommendation......

I finally knocked out the pins today and I started on the FSB. I used a rubber mallet to hammer the sights until they're 90 degrees canted. Then I clamped it to a table and used a 1.5'' hardwood dowel as a drift punch and knocked it off.

If it matters, the outside of the barrel and the inside of the FSB was soaked with small motor oil. I had used it the day before as cutting oil to drill into the pins some to get more purchase with a pin punch. I'm surprised it penetrated that far.

dscf4389e.jpg

dscf4390h.jpg