Final draft for my S12

This is my final modification to my S12 until I submit my Form 1 to shorten her up to 12 inches. Waiting on my Tax Stamp for my 11.5 AR, as soon as that gets back I will submit the Form 1 for this baby. I had Jack Travers move the Gas Block back, he did four new ports, and timed the Bolt. She is as smoothe as Butter now. I had to make an extension for the Gas Plug in order not to have a big gap in front of the Gas Plug. I also vented the Handguard with Stainless metal grid, and made a Gas Tube Shroud to match the handguard. The Gas Tube and Op Rod also had to be reworked by Jack, since the Gas Block was moved back. I refinished the whole Gun again with Duracoat Tac Black and Tac Olive Drab. I used a Heat Gun to heat the surface before I sprayed it, once everything was sprayed I let it sit for 2 weeks just to make sure everything was cured.

post-22569-033209500 1283039077_thumb.jpg

post-22569-010048900 1283039086_thumb.jpg

post-22569-020233400 1283039094_thumb.jpg

post-22569-012385600 1283039102_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sumsky

I like the concept and look of your top cover and HG inserts.

Just wondering if there is any potential for getting a finger (or misc snag) caught in those somewhat larger slots?

Any consideration on that, and/or thought of making the slots a little smaller?

Can you share what you used and how you created?

Thanx

Harv

I like the concept and look of your top cover and HG inserts.

Just wondering if there is any potential for getting a finger (or misc snag) caught in those somewhat larger slots?

Any consideration on that, and/or thought of making the slots a little smaller?

Can you share what you used and how you created?

Thanx

Harv

Harv,

The material I used is Stainless. The slots are already stamped into the Stainless, so even if I wanted to make them smaller I would be out of luck. Actualy the slots are not big enough for a Finger to get stuck in, maybe a Babys Finger could get in there. In one of the Pics my 13 year old daughter is holding it, and her fingers are a lot smaller than mine. I used a Dremel to cut the Grid and smoothe out the edges, I then put it on a piece of Steel Pipe and used a Hammer to round it out. I made sure to sand the surface so the Duracoat would stick. Also I made sure the breather hole on the Gas Block was not blocked by any of the Stainless. To secure the Grill on the Gas Tube I bent tabs which goes between the Gas Tube and Barrel, that baby is on ther realy good, nice and secure. The two pieces inside the Handguard is held in with JB Weld. I had to Dremel out quite a bit of Plastic in order to make enough room for the two Stainless pieces, and for the Handguard to slide easily over the Barrel back in place.

post-22569-046673200 1283090799_thumb.jpg

post-22569-046448400 1283090823_thumb.jpg

post-22569-064793700 1283090835_thumb.jpg

post-22569-086025800 1283090844_thumb.jpg

Neat little project and very nice results.

I'd really like to do a duracoat finish on my S-12. But I'm not quite sure I want to make the investment in the tools and materials it takes to do the job, just to do one gun.

Neat little project and very nice results.

I'd really like to do a duracoat finish on my S-12. But I'm not quite sure I want to make the investment in the tools and materials it takes to do the job, just to do one gun.

Bridis, realy its not that much. Looking at my Bill for the Tac Black 4oz Bottle, and Duracoat 6oz Trustrip aerosol spray, the total was $38.42 with tax and shipping. I sprayed the Duracoat with a Preval Sprayer I got from Home Depot. Just make sure you mix in a little Duracoat Thinner when you are mixing the stuff. The main thing when you are doing this project is to make sure you blast with Aluminumoxide and degrease the gun thorughly before you spray it. I can definately tell you that this stuff is realy durable to scratches and solvents especially the new Paint they have with silicone in it, my selector switch is not even scratching the Paint. Both times when I had painted this Gun Jack blasted it for me with Aluminumoxide. I want to invest in a Blasting Cabinet good to have.

post-22569-059635300 1283101640_thumb.jpg

Thanx for the nice writeup

I just saw those Preval spray kits a couple weeks ago - looks like a nice low cost option.

Harv

Definately beats buying a air compressor. Add a little Thinner if you use the Preval.

That's a sharp looking firearm, Sumsky. I like the Olive Drab and Black combo, the way that you did it. I'm really wanting to Duracoat my two. Now that I have a job again, I'll be getting ready to do the Duracoat in the next couple months.

Thanks for the great pics and the idea for the heat guards. good info!