Who has scoped their Mosin Nagant??

I am looking to mount a scope on the mosin nagant M91/30, I realize I will need a bent handle bolt, and a receiver mount, that will need to be drilled, tapped and threaded, etc....

Anyone of you folks ever done this? Was it hard? I have seen some websites on the topic, some with pics and all... but I was hoping for some FIRSTHAND experience.. ya know... the "DO THIS... DONT TO THAT"... sort of thing....

I figure if I am going to spend the money and the time to do it, the more detail and info I can have before starting the better off, and more accurate my work will be...

ANY info, tips, comments, will be greatly appreciated...

:smoke:

I used an ATi mount on a hex reciever and its great. A super easy installation too, just READ THE DIRECTIONS so you know which drill bit does what. I made my own bolt handle from the original bolt body, a piece of 3/8" bar stock and topped it off with the ball from the straight handle. A pic of the rifle is in the other Mosin thread and here's a pic of my bolt handle

post-583-1115600568_thumb.jpg

I also put one on a round reciever- not quite as easy. The tolerances are different and its very hard to get the mount on straight- I aligned as best as I could but it still ended up being off to the left.

My scoped 91/30 will get sub 1" groups with good ammo. Its amazing the accuracy potential these things have. Before choosing the above rifle for scoping, I hauled six rifles to the range and fired them all with 6 different kinds of ammo and this '33 Ishevsk was the most consistant aside from the '43 ex sniper, but I chickened out cutting that one up.

I have an M91/30, as mentioned... and along the left edge of the receiver, it looks like there were holes in the receiver at one time... 4 of them... and they were welded...filled in, and blued... is it possible this model had a scope mount attached at one point, and was removed???

or do all the round receiver MN's have similar features??? or what???

the thing that kills me is OUT OF THE BOX... it shoots like 8 inches to the right at 50M.... and I need to get a sight tool to adjust that, if I want to be able to do ANYTHING with it... :(

I figured a scope would just be the best way to go...

I can always just hack the bolt handle off the bolt, and have it re-welded on at the "correct" angle, right??? nothing else needed on THAT aspect???

I know a great lil custom welding shop near here would do it up right for me, for cheap... and do it with a tig.. so it would look like new still when done...

I just gotta buy the scope mount and DO IT, I guess...

WAIT!!!!!!

What you have is a former sniper- Post war the Soviets rearsenalled a bunch of their sniper rifles back to the standard 91/30 configuration.Whats the year and arsenal? Tula will be a big star, Ishevsk (Ishmash) will be a triangle with arrow.

My '42 Tula ex PU shots way off, too. My guess is that since they were originally ussued with scopes, they were never sighted in, even when rearsenalled. Mine is(was) unissued/unfired after the rebuild until I got my hands on it.

The bolt handle can't just be cut and rewelded. If you use the ATi setup, it won't come close to fitting. You can either use the bolt handle that comes with the mount or make one. I'll post a pic of mine out of the gun later.

Your rifle is a rare one and you could probably double your money by selling it, but its also the perfect platform for a really accurate military rifle. Soviet sniper requirements were somewhere in the 1/4" @100m range so if the bore is still new you can expect sub MOA groups no problem-even with surplus ammo.

Edited by danny boy

Ok....

according to the receiver, the YEAR is 1943

then its got a lil thing that looks like this... [

1943[

Maybe its part of something that didnt get stamped quite right as its off the curve on the receiver, there...perhaps the letter D? or something in cryllic? OR??

Also, it *IS* an Ishevsk (Ishmash), as theres the lil arrow in the triangle...

I am not in any hurry to mess with it.. although... I DID put it in an ATI stock... I honestly couldnt STAND the original. I wanted it for a hunting rifle, and to LOOK like a hunting rifle, as I wasnt really concerned with the history behind it... none of the numbers matched between the rifle and the stock anyways.. and the bolt and receiver are force matched numbers. (after refurb re-engraved)

Another reason I got it was to be able to shoot boxer primed brass S&B ammo, to get cases to reload for the Romanian PSL. As the romanian isnt designed for heavy ball, I thought for 70 bucks, I could kill two birds with one gun so to speak. LOL

So... let me know what ya think... I honestly like it.. PLUS I just tossed an IMBEL muzzlebreak on it, and its WAY wicked looking... looks like a 5 inch long romak 3 brake.. it REALLY reduces blast and recoil, let me tell you!!

As far as doubling my money.. I spent 70 bucks on it.. even to triple my money, I will just prefer to keep it for a good bolt action hunting rifle.. I need a large caliber hunter anyways.. and this one would make it, if I can get it to shoot where I want it to. I *LOVE* the looks of it with the new brake on it.. so shes STAYING.. LOL

Edited by IndyArms

5" brake on a 27" barrel? Where'd you find a case that big?

Check and see if its counterbored. If it is, and since you're using the ATi stock, I'd recommend cutting the barrel back to 24" and putting a proper target crown on it. This will get rid of the front sight all together which is usless with a scope mount even if it did shoot straight, and lighten up the gun a little. Then get a good scope with a bullet drop compensator for .308 with 24" barrel and load a little light to mimic .308 ballistics and you'll have a decent little tactical rig.

A former sniper is definately a great platform for this. Also, Finland employs a modified M/N as a sniper rifle even today.

I was looking for a cheap way to make a scout mount for mine. I wanted to still be able to use the iron sights as well. I came up with this little contraption using angle rion, some bolts, a weaver rail, some paint, a dremmel, and time. The only modification that I realy made was to the insde of the stock to make a place where the angle iron secures. I fired 60 rounds and it stayed secure. I have not sighted it in yet so it may not really work. The system also does not require a new bolt handle since it can be operated in original condition.

post-411-1116616882.jpg

that would be my concern... I hope you get it to sight in... it might not be able to adjust far enough... BUT you might get lucky and have a winning combination!!!

I hope so...nothing like the MN for a good shooter!!!