Moly-resin on the bolt and carrier

Anyone tried this? I buffed out the underside of my carrier and bolt and am honestly not real impressed with it. I used the sanding wheel and the wool buffy wheel thing with the rouge that came with the dremel kit. Seems like there was a coat of paint factory applied to the bolt....Would moly-resin make it aweosme? Seems like the self lubricating nature would make it better, and to be frank, having bare metal exposed on components integral to proper gun operation scares me some.

I can give you this, the the higher gloss MolyResin seems to have better wear characteristics than the flat (especially the greys). You need to abrasive blast and degrease your components before applying for best results. FWIW-most of my AK carriers are just smoothed on friction surfaces and glass beaded and I've never had problems with rust or corrosion. I also don't tend to shoot in the rain and clean my stuff when I'm done for the day so your mileage may vary.

That's why they make oil....

Yeah I know...but what if zombies were attacking and the world was out of oil? Wouldn't I regret not putting moly resin on my bolt and carrier?

That made my day :lolol:

Tee hee.....:rolleyes:

If you are doing your part when that happens, you can grease your parts with boiled zombie fat if necessary...lol.

Seriously I would not want any kind of paint on any of my contact surfaces. YMMV and all that...

On the contrary....I was referring to the actual surfaces that interact with one another...IE the bottom of the carrier where it rides over the hammer. Leaving the rest of the carrier bare metal like that will definitely cause it to rust unless it's kept wiped down with oil, or finely polished, which seals the surface somewhat and slows the formation of rust.

Case in point, I had a few of my bolt carriers glass bead blasted and liked the way they looked just left "in the white". It wasn't too long though til I started seeing rust form on the surface where it was left unprotected. That said, it was quite easy to just hit it with some steel wool or fine sandpaper anytime, and it was good as new again. I do that from time to time on those four or five guns and they still look great. I do prefer the look of a satin gray or silver bolt carrier so to me it's worth the little bit of extra effort once in awhile. With a good coat of CLP on them I never have to mess with them really until they are taken out for some fun and get handled a lot.

There's also another option that works well if you like that color better than black. You can coat it with silver colored Hi Temp Ceramic engine enamel. I did that with a couple of mine and problem solved....

Now as far as the bolt goes....I wouldn't put any paint on that no matter what.

That's why they make oil....

Yeah I know...but what if zombies were attacking and the world was out of oil? Wouldn't I regret not putting moly resin on my bolt and carrier?

That made my day :lolol:

If SHTF, use drain oil - just like the Russians do!