Any upgraded AR7 owners around?

I've been toying with the idea of making my little Henry survival into a semi-accurate plinker. There's one site (ar7industries) that has some parts for sale, but I haven't been able to find any reviews, good OR bad about their barrels. I found another site (majestic arms) that makes more custom parts for mostly 10/22's but they haven't emailed back on whether or not they still make custom ar7 barrels. Does anyone have any experience with tinkering with these little .22's?

I've been toying with the idea of making my little Henry survival into a semi-accurate plinker. There's one site (ar7industries) that has some parts for sale, but I haven't been able to find any reviews, good OR bad about their barrels. I found another site (majestic arms) that makes more custom parts for mostly 10/22's but they haven't emailed back on whether or not they still make custom ar7 barrels. Does anyone have any experience with tinkering with these little .22's?

I had a couple I went through and they are crap. The president of Henry couldn't even get me one that didn't jam and also go full auto at times! Buy a Ruger 10/22 if you want a great rifle that can be heavily customized.

Even if the Henry's had a reputation for reliability I think the 10/22 to be a better option based on what The Hunter said. It would be bad ass to take a carbon fiber barrel and have it cut down to about 12 inches and put a suppressor on it. Then replace the screw that holds the rifle together with something that you can unscrew by hand.Cut the forearm back down to the screw. You would have a lightweight break down 10/22. Lot's of expense involved in that though.

Edited by superA

I've got a "vintage" Armalite AR-7 that I bought used in 1972. It's pretty sensitive to the magazine that it will feed reliably. The original 8 rounder works fine, but none of the half a dozen or so "aftermarkets" that I've purchased will feed without jamming. It's been a really accurate little gun since I first bought it and will consistently shoot 2" or less at 50 yards with the OEM front blade and peep.

I think one of the best possible upgrades you could do to the AR-7 is stick the folding rear leaf sight of a 10/22 on the barrel (in such a way that it still fits inside the buttstock). Having the front sight on the barrel and the rear sight on the receiver, slipped together and held by a nut, does not give me confidence in its ability to hold zero. This is of course merely a theory, but not an uneducated one.

The problem with getting a 10/22 instead of the ar7 is that I've already got an ar7, and wanted to make it a better shooter. I found another company with a pretty good reputation that makes custom barrels, but the price they're asking is more than a new gun... so it looks like the ar7 will probably be hanging out in the back of the safe for a little while longer.