Polish Wz96 .223/5.56

Saiga-based Polish WZ96

Beginning with a sporterized Saiga .223/5.56 we tried to recreate as closely as possible (with whatever information available) a Polish WZ96.

Points of interest include:

- custom proper flash hider

- squared-off front sight

- barrel sleeve for bipod

- squared-off gas block

- Tantal style hand guard retainer

- modification of rear sight block to accommodate gas tube, create hinge mechanism, and removal of gas tube lever

- extended magazine release

- Tantal style ambidextrous safety

- custom scope rail, hinged, silver soldered to receiver cover/modified receiver cover rear with dog ear to affix rear screw. Unlike available Beryl rails, this one maintains the integrity of the rear sight leaf, and is low enough to allow use of the standard AK sights

- furniture from Lucznik-Radom, including folding stock and railed hand guard

The rifle was parkerized then finished with Brownells baking lacquer. The sling and bipod are also Polish. This was not a weekend project and required mucho skill on the part of my gunsmith (hey, I helped.) Don't think I've seen one of these done with a Saiga.

Wz96 1a.JPG

Wz96 2a.JPG

Wz96 3a.JPG

Wz96 4a.JPG

Wz96 5a.JPG

Wz96 6a.JPG

IMG_9205.JPG

Nice, but you forgot the top rail.

No, there is a top rail.

'custom scope rail, hinged, silver soldered to receiver cover/modified receiver cover rear with dog ear to affix rear screw. Unlike available Beryl rails, this one maintains the integrity of the rear sight leaf, and is low enough to allow use of the standard AK sights'

There are several slightly different rails on different versions of the rifle--this one is very low so the iron sights can still be used.

WZ96 9a.JPG

Wow Doc that really did turn out fantastic! I like your top rail MUCH better then the original in the pic nalioth posted. Way more sleek and without all that bulky mess hanging off the back that's characteristic of most beryl style rails. Very nice all around. That Saiga ROCKS and I know you had a lot of hands on action in it too!

Y'all went Full Otto on that baby for sure.

:super:

Wow Doc that really did turn out fantastic! I like your top rail MUCH better then the original in the pic nalioth posted. Way more sleek and without all that bulky mess hanging off the back that's characteristic of most beryl style rails. Very nice all around. That Saiga ROCKS and I know you had a lot of hands on action in it too!

Y'all went Full Otto on that baby for sure.

:super:

Thanks Shannon! The rail was the biggest challenge, since after looking at a bunch of pictures there were several versions in use, and I didn't have any engineering drawings or detailed pix of the rear receiver cover area or the hinge. Started out with about a 20 pound block of steel and at the end only about 1 1/2 pounds is in the scope rail. The hinge is riveted on the inside of the sight block. The rear of the receiver cover has a 3/16" plate silver soldered to it that was ground and polished to match the contour of the cover, and has a tab for a screw, although the cover locks very solidly on the recoil spring retainer itself as it was originally intended. Yeah, even Otto was very pleased with the outcome. If he's happy, I'm happy.:smoke:

"- furniture from Lucznik-Radom, including folding stock and railed hand guard"

Was getting that stuff from Poland a pain in the ass? I love the folding stock. Does the hassle and cost of getting it here, make it a worth while alternative to the ACE and Galil folding stocks?

"- furniture from Lucznik-Radom, including folding stock and railed hand guard"

Was getting that stuff from Poland a pain in the ass? I love the folding stock. Does the hassle and cost of getting it here, make it a worth while alternative to the ACE and Galil folding stocks?

Well, I know a guy in New Zealand, who knows a guy in Poland...........so getting the furniture could have been worse. I wanted the conversion to look as authentic as possible, so I went that route.