Just got done giving my "new" Mosin a steambath.

I am sure many of you mil surp guys know this already but a hand held steam cleaner is a great tool for removing cosmoline.

I read about boiling the parts, putting them in the oven and sun baking on the deck but decided to pick up a $30.00 steam cleaner and give it a try.

It blasted away that 80 year old cosmoline and turned it to melted butter which was then easily wiped off.

Might be old an old trick but it was new to me and worked great. Followed up with a 100 psi blast from my air compressor and a good wipe down with Rem oil.

The old girl looks like she is ready to go dancing! 027.gif

post-15138-035876600 1284148270_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looks great man!

Yes that trick works like a charm. I made a special trip to walmart for one for cleaning off a couple of Yugo SKSs that were packed with cosmo. It was well worth it and the steam gun has lots of other uses as well.

If you're too cheap to buy a steam cleaner, You can use a pressure cooker with the weight removed, a pot with a lid with a hole in it, or even a rice cooker...

You just have to maneuver the piece over the steam stream.

Just add water & boil.

I use this method when I recondition pool cues to swell the dings in the fore-end before sanding with a green scrub pad.

Looks good, DaveM! That's a great idea.

If you're too cheap to buy a steam cleaner, You can use a pressure cooker with the weight removed, a pot with a lid with a hole in it, or even a rice cooker...

You just have to maneuver the piece over the steam stream.

Just add water & boil.

I use this method when I recondition pool cues to swell the dings in the fore-end before sanding with a green scrub pad.

Connect a piece of vinyl tubing to your pressure cooker lid and you've got directional steam.