Busting Clays with Chaos/HK setup

So I took the S-12 out for the first time since the most recent work I've done to it.. including the addition of the Chaos quad with the HK style sights.

I decided some clay shooting would be a great test for big Thelma.

This is my first experience with these sights.. so the first few shots were trash. After about 5 or 6 though, things started to smooth out. I was getting about 9 out of 10 after that.. which is about as good as I can do.

I was pretty surprised.. the sights seemed to be right on with no adjustments. So I put some slugs on paper later on @ about 40 yds and the grouping was pretty decent. Shots were placed where I was aiming.. so I was happy.

Also.. the magpul AFG was pretty comfortable for this type of shooting (as it should be).

I was getting a few weak breaks here and there. Mainly on the ones I let drift further out before shooting, so I think once I add a choke to Thelma, she will be a beast.

The only complaint I have about the rear sight drum was that the big # "1" kept distracting me. I found my focus going to that before I lined up my sight picture. I'm thinking about just painting over the numbers and everything should be all the way 100 at that point.

Busting clays with the S12 is second only to blowing up water jugs with it. Glad you had such a good time.

aww yes water jugs. my saigas arch enemy. i have a bunch of print outs of zombie heads, that i like to tape to the front. add a little red food coloring, and your in buisnes. reactive zombie targets. i hates zombies. :ded:

• Like 1

I was pretty stoked that I didn't need to tweek the sights or anything.

The zombie heads are a good idea. I actually have some zombie targets I designed that I've been shooting at lately. Got myself a wide format printer, so I can print them in 13x19".

Some heads and water jugs would be great.

I'm also thinking about getting some of the reactive target compound that explodes when it's hit with a round after you mix it and spread it on your target surface.

Anybody used that?

Edited by danklab

tannerite, is what u want that explodes but i dont think it will work with a shotgun. it requires a high velocity rifle round like .223 or similiar to detonate it. it may work with the 2,000 fps high velocity slugs but if i remember correctly it calls for a bullet faster than that to detonate. so i suggest dont buy too much until you figure out if it works.

Edited by big-J

Saiga makes a gun for clays it's just not one imported

thats cool. :smoke: i wish they imported it. i want to try an IZ-107 24" barrel s-12 and get the muzzle threaded so i can slap a poly choke on it and throw a twister puck in it and get a few 2 round mags so i can be ready between stations and not p.o. the fudd shooters with mags that can be loaded with more than 2 rounds so i meet all their rules. i really want to crush a $2k italian "afraid to get scratched by flying brass" o/u :haha: with a $600.00 russian "we stamp our receivers from bought in bulk steel" saiga.:super:

fuddshootersaywhat?

I recently got to shoot some clays with my Saiga-12 (which also sports a Chaos rail, but no HK sights), as well. Did surprisingly well, considering it was my first time shooting aerial targets of any kind, with ANY gun, and the fact that my Saiga swings like a dumptruck. :lolol:

"No sporting purpose," my butt!

DSCN2856.jpg

DSCN2857.jpg

DSCN2854.jpg

DSCN2855.jpg

Some video from the i-Kam Xtremes, aka the "James Bond glasses":

l also got to try busting clays with a Benelli SuperNova, which I did OK with, and a single-shot .410, which I didn't. :unsure:

Edited by shooter2

tannerite, is what u want that explodes but i dont think it will work with a shotgun. it requires a high velocity rifle round like .223 or similiar to detonate it. it may work with the 2,000 fps high velocity slugs but if i remember correctly it calls for a bullet faster than that to detonate. so i suggest dont buy too much until you figure out if it works.

It'll be fine just to use for the rifles. I might check it out at some point.. seems pretty fun.

I guess I can make due without having my targets explode when hit by the s-12.. buck shot is cool enough for destruction anyway.

I remember when I first got the thing in '08.. me and my friends just loaded up my truck like sanford and son with old shit and took it out in my field to not so much "target" shoot as to "blast to pieces" the offloaded junk. Cleanup was a bitch.. but well worth it.