lower handguard retainer on saiga 7.62x39?

what do you 7.62 guy's do to hold the lower handgaurds on without the notches in the barrel? my saiga 7.62 has no notches for the retainer lock,i guess a gunsmith could do it,or i have seen some use the din-zag adapter,i would rather figure out how to use the AK retainer,so any ideas would be great.......thanks.......fred

Just out of curiosity, will a standard ak stock fit into an unconverted saiga?

actually i had to shave the front corners off my romanian wood stocks to make them fit in my saigaX39 reciever, i had to do that to 2 different romanian stock's because i switched the one on my WASR because the color was closer on front wood.

• Like 1

Will the lower hand guard retainer that comes with the Tapco Galil hand guard fit other standard ones as well?

No, it will not. You can use the TAPCO Galil handguard with standard retainers or the one included, but you can't use regular hanguards with the TAPCO retainer. If you wanted to do AK handguards you will have to either remove the gas block and sight tower, or use a bolt on retainer like this one: http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Handguard-Bracket/Detail

• Like 1

Sorry But I need to Highjack your thread for a second rather than start a whole new post asking similar questions. And NICE conversion! really dig the furnature.

OK, so, I bought two of the lower hand guard retainers from Greg @CSS and I ended up having to use two smaller screws and nuts to secure them to the barrel. I read above above about notches? :eek: What notches? Do I need to dremel out the barrel abit to make the origional screw/bolt and nut fit? Im going home at lunch and Ill take some pics if it would help to explain?

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

• Like 1

Sorry But I need to Highjack your thread for a second rather than start a whole new post asking similar questions. And NICE conversion! really dig the furnature.

OK, so, I bought two of the lower hand guard retainers from Greg @CSS and I ended up having to use two smaller screws and nuts to secure them to the barrel. I read above above about notches? :eek: What notches? Do I need to dremel out the barrel abit to make the origional screw/bolt and nut fit? Im going home at lunch and Ill take some pics if it would help to explain?

Greg

Yes, there is a picture included with the retainer showing the approximate size and location of the notch that should be ground into the barrel. Standard AKs with the two piece handguards all have it. The notch is on the top of the barrel facing perpendicular towards it, and the #10-32 bolt that comes with the retainer, or the standard cam on an original retainer, clicks into that notch to prevent the handguard from sliding forward or along the axis of the barrel during firing.

You could make the notch at the top with a dremel, but I'd recommend using a small round file instead. This way you can go much slower and carefully, and test fit to ensure you get a tight fit and do not grind too deep. I also recommend making the notch just slightly too far back, that way when you bolt the retainer in place it will be sure to hold the handguard on nice and tight.

post-21696-029561000 1285359735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 1

Greg

Yes, there is a picture included with the retainer showing the approximate size and location of the notch that should be ground into the barrel. Standard AKs with the two piece handguards all have it. The notch is on the top of the barrel facing perpendicular towards it, and the #10-32 bolt that comes with the retainer, or the standard cam on an original retainer, clicks into that notch to prevent the handguard from sliding forward or along the axis of the barrel during firing.

You could make the notch at the top with a dremel, but I'd recommend using a small round file instead. This way you can go much slower and carefully, and test fit to ensure you get a tight fit and do not grind too deep. I also recommend making the notch just slightly too far back, that way when you bolt the retainer in place it will be sure to hold the handguard on nice and tight.

SWEET! Thanks Classy! and Thanks freddy g for lettn me barrow your thread for a sec. +1000000000000000000000.00

Edited by AZG

Greg

SWEET! Thanks Classy! and Thanks freddy g for lettn me barrow your thread for a sec. +1000000000000000000000.00

any time AZG! and as classy say's go with file i used a cutting wheel on a dremel and i am not happy with the way it came out,it works good and it looks ok with the retainer on,but when the retainer is off it looks ugly,kinda butchered even though i was careful!