New to forum new to Saiga 308 rifle

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and new to my Saiga 308. I purchased it for next to nothing and it works flawlessly but would like to make it better. I have a few questions that i need more info about since i have never owned any rifle of this type.

1. What advantage does the "conversion" provide?

2. In regards to muzzle brakes/ flash hiders which is best threaded or pinned on

3. What is the part called where the factory rear sight is mounted, the rear leaf on mine is broken off, like i said next to nothing paid for it, can this be replace or fixed?

4. 922r compliance this firearm compliant as it comes new?

5. In the 308 caliber what can i expect for accuracy and reliability?

6. Where is the best place to find parts and accessories?

7. Is the side mounted scope mount a good product? Does it hold tight?

Any answers would be awesome i am looking forward to hearing from some of you with alot of experience with this firearm, and I am excited to start tinkering and improving mine. Thanks and great site.

Casey

1. What advantage does the "conversion" provide?

Substantially better ergonomics, a much nicer trigger pull, and the ability to utilize a larger variety of aftermarket parts - the conversion is a restoration to the configuration intended for the rifle. The "sporter" configuration is a bastardization to allow importation from Russia under present US federal law.

2. In regards to muzzle brakes/ flash hiders which is best threaded or pinned on

Threaded. Easier to remove if you decide to move to something else, without doing damage to the weapon.

3. What is the part called where the factory rear sight is mounted, the rear leaf on mine is broken off, like i said next to nothing paid for it, can this be replace or fixed?

Yes. It can be replaced. The part it is mounted to is called the rear sight block, which would have to be pressed off the barrel for replacement. It would be easier just to replace the sight leaf, which is not difficult. Not sure if the Saiga sight leaf is substantially different from other AKM rear sights.

4. 922r compliance this firearm compliant as it comes new?

It's 100% Russian, and not defined by federal law as an "assault weapon." If you change the configuration of the weapon in such a way so that it is defined as an "assault weapon," then 922r becomes relevant. More information is available in the 922r/The law subforum.

5. In the 308 caliber what can i expect for accuracy and reliability?

From okay to very good, depending on the quality of the vodka imbibed by the factory workers the day before your rifle was assembled.

6. Where is the best place to find parts and accessories?

The business members of this forum - except for e-tac.

7. Is the side mounted scope mount a good product? Does it hold tight?

Depends who made it. Several companies manufacture side mounts, and they vary in quality.

1. What advantage does the "conversion" provide? VERY neccessary IMO for the 308 due to its bizarre trigger pull angle

2. In regards to muzzle brakes/ flash hiders which is best threaded or pinned on Threaded - remember that putting a muzzle device on triggers the 922R counting game (use a USA made device if posssible

The Rear sight assembly (trunnion?) Are one, or both of the eyelets that the leaf fits into broken? or just the leaf itself?

4. 922r compliance this firearm compliant as it comes new? yep, unless you use a larger mag or start changing/adding parts

5. In the 308 caliber what can i expect for accuracy and reliability? Uh, Ill stay out of that minefield - just shoot it and add to the data

6. Where is the best place to find parts and accessories? Check Dinzag for sure on the somewhat different 308 issues/options. Lots of great vendors are listed on this site. Look at the rusmilitary website for less common items to get an idea of whats available. Check the Tantal Kalashnikov site by Doug Ford? in Texas - he has d/c selling parts but he offers perhaps the best posting of pics, minute details, historical facts & info on AK weapons, related items, and incredible knockoffs that individuals have created from saiga's , etc

7. Is the side mounted scope mount a good product? Does it hold tight? The side mount is solid. The wide variety of mounts sold to fit that design dont always meet the highest standard ;-) The BP-02 from Belarus (NOT a china or other copy) is my favorite for providing a pretty low, center barrel, pic rail base to work from. You will see & hears lots of others opinions on this ...and choice of sights.

GoodLuck,

Harv

Casey,

welcome to the forums.. i just got my S308 21" in July this year.. its a TRUE blast.

For Questions #

2) see threading of Janis.. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=56854 I also pinned for trips to NJ.

5) Pretty accurate with 2-7 or 3-9 scope and you doing your part and maybe using a front bag or bi-pod. (there is a post I just put up in this 308 section)

6) Dinzag for the internal parts and renting a THREADING kit... alot of great info on his site. Carolina Shooters also for accessories/stocks/ mags/etc..

7) BP-02 for $54 shipped or the UTG-978 for $36 shipped (from OpticsPlanet).. I run the UTG978 on all 3 of my Saigas and really can't be more satisfied with them.

For the accuracy we have these posts.. and I did 5 RANGE reports also in the Saiga 308 section on here..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58248

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=57352

Cheers... :beer:

Albert

Casey,

Welcome. I'm a relative Saiga newbie as well... and I have found this forum a wealth of information... and with blessedly little flaming.

You didn;t ask about magazines, but if you get to the point you want high capacity magazines... I highly suggest you investigate Csspecs metal magazines. They are custom crafted, and it is the only time I've found where I consider an after market magazine superior to the factory original. (I've tried every after market magazine for the Saiga... and I also have a large stock of factory original mags... but for upgrading to the beauty of true craftsmanship I highly recommend adding a Csspecs to your upgrades.)

You will never regret getting your Saiga 308. It's a sleeper treasure the rest of the world is only starting to discover.