reading costs me $

Ok so I spent the whole day yesterday reading the 308 threads and came to the conclusion that I needed to have one, so I just ordered one up from Greg @CSS. My only concern is the FCG. there is a post with lots of people have trouble with the Tapco G2. Some people say its works and some say it fires when you move the safety and its needs a tab welded on to it. Being I have not a welder or welding skills, this is not an option. Others say to get a 308 specific FCG from Dinzag.

I am looking for opnions please.

Do I need a bullet guide?

Can you gies recommend some parts for me?(stocks, scopes, anything&everything)

I understand some parts will have to be chosen on what works best for me, but I would still like everyone opnions on whats good.

Thanks,

AZG

Edited by AZG

No bullet guide needed. My suggestion is just to buy everything from Dinzag as well. That's what I did and I had zero problems. If you use an unmodified G2 trigger group in your .308 it will be unsafe. The gun going off if you move the safety lever is a fact without modifying the trigger group.

Dinzag's stuff is top notch and works flawlessly.

• Like 1

No bullet guide needed. My suggestion is just to buy everything from Dinzag as well. That's what I did and I had zero problems. If you use an unmodified G2 trigger group in your .308 it will be unsafe. The gun going off if you move the safety lever is a fact without modifying the trigger group.

Righton! Thanks! I appreciate it!

Now should it be the Arsenal or the G2?

Edited by AZG

The Arsenal requires a "stop bump" so as not to slap you. It is patterned after actual military FCGs (like Century's FCG) and w/o the "stop bump", has been reported to provide "trigger slap".

The Texas AK Triggers, Tapco, and RSA units have no such proclivities.

• Like 1

The Arsenal requires a "stop bump" so as not to slap you. It is patterned after actual military FCGs (like Century's FCG) and w/o the "stop bump", has been reported to provide "trigger slap".

The Texas AK Triggers, Tapco, and RSA units have no such proclivities.

Thanks Nalioth! I appreciate it.

That comment kinda makes me laugh knowing you have somewhat of a dislike for Arsenal. But it sounds more like fact than opnion, and is not a risk im willing to take being I have three g2's with good track records in my saigas already so, again thank you.

AZG

Stan.. unfortunately in some cases you are correct with the SAFETY issue.. Some get lucky and the LEG reaches just fine.. (such as mine does)...

Do with the DinZag G2 for the 308 specific to make life easier for you..

csspecs makes 5,15, 20 round 308 mags from METAL... he also has a KIT to go from 8-10 rounds with the FACTORY mag you get with the rifle.. vs doing the mod yourself.. and you gain +2 parts for 922r with it..

I run a 15 round from him and 2 factory mags (make them 10's) with parts from him.. :super:

Others will chime in... check the 308 tacked thread and you may see a stock or setup you like in the pics..

Al

• Like 1

Stan.. unfortunately in some cases you are correct with the SAFETY issue.. Some get lucky and the LEG reaches just fine.. (such as mine does)...

csspecs makes 5,15, 20 round 308 mags from METAL... he also has a KIT to go from 8-10 rounds with the FACTORY mag you get with the rifle.. vs doing the mod yourself.. and you gain +2 parts for 922r with it..

I run a 15 round from him and 2 factory mags (make them 10's) with parts from him.. :super:

Others will chime in... check the 308 tacked thread and you may see a stock or setup you like in the pics..

Al

Thanks for the info Al, I'm gonna have to pick some of those steel mags up. I was reading a thread earlier where you were sayn somethin about you not being able to use your scope with the drag stock, what was goin on with that?

Al

From my experience, you are the exception.

I knew someone who got lucky would chime in. I was hoping to err on the side of safety. IMHO one negligent discharge is too many.

• Like 1

AZG,

My Bushnell with the BDC has a 4" eye relief which put my head near the END of the stock(with the scope mounted all the way forward on the sidemount rail I have).. and the stock near the END drops 1/2" (as far as the wood design goes).. the combo of the two thing was a PITA.. (see pic)>>>>>

post-8775-071301700 1285120279_thumb.jpg

So instead of buying another scope for $100-150 (and resetting that mess again) I decided to re-cycle my RPB Industries (originally $39) one that was just laying here.. Its pretty much a triangular style folder, that doesn't fold.. Its also wrapped in ParaCord that is reddish/brown.. :super: also added a new MDArms 'Molot' pistol grip..

If you go with a standard scope on a side rail or otherwise, go for scope with 3.2 - 3.6" eye relief..

My other 2 scopes at 3.6" ER are perfect... with the WARSAW length stocks.. (even the 'Drag' wood one).

Hope this helps anyone else looking into scopes for the Saigas also..

Stans..

There were only 2-3 others that said the regular G2 worked fine.. so yes its not very many at all..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

AZG,

My Bushnell with the BDC has a 4" eye relief which put my head near the END of the stock(with the scope mounted all the way forward on the sidemount rail I have).. and the stock near the END drops 1/2" (as far as the wood design goes).. the combo of the two thing was a PITA.. (see pic)>>>>>

post-8775-071301700 1285120279_thumb.jpg

So instead of buying another scope for $100-150 (and resetting that mess again) I decided to re-cycle my RPB Industries (originally $39) one that was just laying here.. Its pretty much a triangular style folder, that doesn't fold.. Its also wrapped in ParaCord that is reddish/brown.. :super: also added a new MDArms 'Molot' pistol grip..

If you go with a standard scope on a side rail or otherwise, go for scope with 3.2 - 3.6" eye relief..

My other 2 scopes at 3.6" ER are perfect... with the WARSAW length stocks.. (even the 'Drag' wood one).

Hope this helps anyone else looking into scopes for the Saigas also..

Stans..

There were only 2-3 others that said the regular G2 worked fine.. so yes its not very many at all..

Al

Ok, please bare with me here for a minute, but im new to scopes and am unclear on what eye relief is? from what it sounds like, its how far your head/eye is away from the scope to where you can see through the scope correctly. Am I close?

And the wood stock wasnt working for you due to the 1/2" drop at the end of the stock? so you switched to the RPB stock? Or are you using the wood stock? Sorry, I seem to be suffering from a brain fart of some sort at the moment.

I am looking into scopes so thanks, it does help alot. For the mount I was looking into the Kalinka optics webpage. The BP02 is looking promising from the reviews but would appreciate any info on the product.

Thanks again

AZG

The BP-02 low mount ($54 shipped I think) is a great mount.. however, I went UTG978 for $36 shipped (opticsplanet) on all 3 of my Saiga's..

Yes eye relief is the distance to clearly see the site picture..

I just sold the wood Drag stock and now am running the RPB Poly stock as shown on the LEFT in my avatar <<<<<<<<<<<<<

there are other pics in my gallery if you want to see some things I been batting about..

http://forum.saiga-1...=user&user=8775

I change stocks about every 4 months.. :dollar: it seems like..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

The BP-02 low mount ($54 shipped I think) is a great mount.. however, I went UTG978 for $36 shipped (opticsplanet) on all 3 of my Saiga's..

Yes eye relief is the distance to clearly see the site picture..

I just sold the wood Drag stock and now am running the RPB Poly stock as shown on the LEFT in my avatar <<<<<<<<<<<<<

there are other pics in my gallery if you want to see some things I been batting about..

http://forum.saiga-1...=user&user=8775

I change stocks about every 4 months.. :dollar: it seems like..

Al

It looks alil high? does that mess with you at all, Im assuming not being you bought so many of them. I do like the double rail though.

AZG

AZG..

The rail has 3/16" clearance above the dust cover.. the TOPMOST part of the rails sits 5/8" above the dustcover.. the front BELL of the 40mm scope sits 3/8" above the trunnion/site leaf.. I went with HIGH rings.. I was told I could use medium rings but perfer a small gap between the BELL and the trunnion/rear site leaf..

Click to enlarge picture..>>>

post-8775-077145000 1285157391_thumb.jpg

Also, after re-checking my wood WARSAW the length was 9 1/2".. this stock is at 9 3/4" from rear of the receiver to the back..

I hear the BP-02 (low mount) is the way to go for these.. I just had VERY good experiances with the other 2 UTG mounts so I figured to keep them all the same..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

AZG..

The rail has 3/16" clearance above the dust cover.. the TOPMOST part of the rails sits 5/8" above the dustcover.. the front BELL of the 40mm scope sits 3/8" above the trunnion/site leaf.. I went with HIGH rings.. I was told I could use medium rings but perfer a small gap between the BELL and the trunnion/rear site leaf..

Click to enlarge picture..>>>

post-8775-077145000 1285157391_thumb.jpg

Also, after re-checking my wood WARSAW the length was 9 1/2".. this stock is at 9 3/4" from rear of the receiver to the back..

I hear the BP-02 (low mount) is the way to go for these.. I just had VERY good experiances with the other 2 UTG mounts so I figured to keep them all the same..

Al

Can you still use your Iron sights effectivly with the UTG mount?

"I hear the BP-02 (low mount) is the way to go for these.. " These meaning the 308's or Warsaw Wood stock?

Sorry to be all specific, I appreciate your time.

G

Post-A and others say the BP-02 (low) are nice and fit the Saiga well and centered.. thats all.

Can't co-witness with either unfortunately..

but with quick-detach on both models they server there purpose well.

Al

Righton! Thanks Al!

Now I just need to decide on the russian BP02 or the newer Kalinka BP02.

AZG

so after alot of research and price checking, I think ill go with the UTG978. I can get two of those for the price of one BP02(70$ shipped).

The UTG has great reviews everywhere I look, and everywhere that sells the BP02 either has a trojan or wants an arm, leg, and left nut for shipping. OpticsPlanet has free shipping. Cant really beat that. IMO.

You do realize how high that mount is above the bore if I am looking at the same mount as you describe. The BP02 is MUCH lower and it will show on the range.

EDIT The shipping for this mount only totals $10 at Kalinka.

Edited by Rhodes1968

You do realize how high that mount is above the bore if I am looking at the same mount as you describe. The BP02 is MUCH lower and it will show on the range.

EDIT The shipping for this mount only totals $10 at Kalinka.

I bet it is lower, but everytime I went onto the Kalinkaoptics website it would say a trojan had been blocked so you might wana check your computer. And like I said It cost twice as much as the UTG. I "would" like a lower mount but not at the expense of a trojan infucting my computer. I didnt get far enough to find out how much shipping was on their site. I have 2 other saigas that I can get one for in the future if the UTGs dont satisfy me. Did you ever get that 308 pin on brake by SGM? if so how do you like it. Im gonna need one and am looking for more input. I read the whole thread on it and am somewhat impressed. Just wanted to know if it has been tested anymore?

The one thing I could add is my experience, regardless of the mount you use eventually. My first scope on the Saiga with the UTG mount was a shorter, tactical scope which put the objective right above the rear sight block. That meant high rings. When I went with a longer scope with a little smaller objective, I was able to go with the low rings and drop the height one-half inch.

• Like 1

The one thing I could add is my experience, regardless of the mount you use eventually. My first scope on the Saiga with the UTG mount was a shorter, tactical scope which put the objective right above the rear sight block. That meant high rings. When I went with a longer scope with a little smaller objective, I was able to go with the low rings and drop the height one-half inch.

Thats funny, being im just bought my 308 and am now broke, im gonna use what I have on hand, which just happens to be a smaller tactical scope which Im sure alot of people would laugh at me for even considering buying, but I could really care less what people think when it comes to stuff like that, that is if they are going to make fun of me. If they are giving me advice then I always appreciate it! Like your advice, it is much appreciated. Thanks man! Maybe later on i can get me a scope that costs more than all my saigas put together, but for now I have to use my POS barska. Yeah thats right people, I got a barska. Look at my dots on my profile, even though it says im past being a newbie, in some ways, at least when it comes to scopes, I still am. lol.

:nonono::booo:

Don't fret over the Barska.. I run 2 NcStars.. one fixed 6x32 ($27 shipped)on the 545x39 Saiga and a 2-7x32 on my Mosin Nagant 91/30.

They have BOTH held up just fine.. I did run a 4x32 NCStar ($20 new) on my 762x39 Saiga just fine also..

Always try to make do with what you have.. thats 1/2 the battle.. heck that Poly RPB stock has been on ALL 3 of my Saigas in the last year..

Al

Don't fret over the Barska.. I run 2 NcStars.. one fixed 6x32 ($27 shipped)on the 545x39 Saiga and a 2-7x32 on my Mosin Nagant 91/30.

They have BOTH held up just fine.. I did run a 4x32 NCStar ($20 new) on my 762x39 Saiga just fine also..

Always try to make do with what you have.. thats 1/2 the battle.. heck that Poly RPB stock has been on ALL 3 of my Saigas in the last year..

Al

Thanks, but im not fretting, I like my scope. I didnt make it, a company did and I think its good enough for someone who doesnt have the best shooting skills yet. Im not in Iraq and my life doesnt depend on how good my scope is. It good enough for a beginner, given I dont even use it at the time being due to the fact that until I can shoot proficiently with the irons, i believe it can collect some dust, figurativly speaking. I appreciate the comment though. :beer:

Way to go AZG. Any scope is better than no scope at all.

As far as buying one that costs more than all my Saiga's, I dunno about that. My motto has always been "I'd rather have two good scopes than one great one."

Besides, when I'm just shooting for fun I really prefer the iron sights. They simply have to be improved though. The stock radius is just way too short. Maybe some day I'll invent a flip up peeper than mounts to the receiver tang, working kind of like the old, old Henry sharpshooters. :)

Don't feel bad about being a newbie with scopes. In my old shooting days (when I could actually hit something), parallax was fixed at 100 yards. I'm still struggling with getting the focus just right on the modern ones.

Way to go AZG. Any scope is better than no scope at all.

I agree, that was kindof the point I was tryn to make. Some people are set on if it doesnt cost more than your gun, then it aint worth a crap.

As far as buying one that costs more than all my Saiga's, I dunno about that. My motto has always been "I'd rather have two good scopes than one great one."

Besides, when I'm just shooting for fun I really prefer the iron sights. They simply have to be improved though. The stock radius is just way too short. Maybe some day I'll invent a flip up peeper than mounts to the receiver tang, working kind of like the old, old Henry sharpshooters. :)

again, I agree, I like irons too. They require alot more skill than using a scope would in some situations.

Don't feel bad about being a newbie with scopes. In my old shooting days (when I could actually hit something), parallax was fixed at 100 yards. I'm still struggling with getting the focus just right on the modern ones.