I WANT to get a 12k

I went out on saturday with my "shootin" buddys. We did the typical stuff two handed shooting, knocking cans down rapid firing...etc. Well my friend said he had a "special" treat for me. He pulled out his "cannon" a fin-fal .308 with 10rd mag. It was awsome!!! Really enjoyed shooting it, BUT, very expensive to shoot. I liked the EVIL look of the weapon and how it shot. I wanted to get something similar that was cheap to shoot. Ive been looking at the saiga's and decided on a 12ga. I dont like the feel of the "hunting" style saiga's ive held at local sporting stores( dunhams). What I wanted to know was would it be cheaper to buy a "hunter" and convert to 12K specs or just look around for a factory 12k?

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks.

There have been a few 12K's imported, but they're outrageously expensive. I saw one on gunsamerica.com a few months ago for ~$1800. I'd suggest you just get a 12C and modify it to the specifications that you want, but I'd warn against trying to emulate the 12K. The bulgarian side-folding stock is a bitch to get on the gun, and isn't very good once there. First off, it's a short stock made for people shooting in thick winter coats. So unless you're under 5'6" you'll really have to add the butt-pad which doesn't fit the stock well. Secondly, it's hard as hell to install because the length of the shotgun shell extends into where the stock should mount, so it takes some customization to make work. And lastly, when the stock is folded, the kick from the gun is enough to "unfold" it every shot. It's supposed to snap into place and be held by a little clasp like lever, but shooting a 12gauge round will pull it out from the clasp so you have to hold it closed manually which is annoying. I'd suggest the Dragunov style stock that TopMaul has in his avatar if you want a practical shot gun, but if you insist on the agility of a folding stock, I'd really suggest a scorpion top folder if you can find it. They're by far the neatest looking, and they are longer so would provide a better fit, not to mention the kick will not "unfold" it. Just my $0.02

Bear with my newbee-ism I guess that what I should have said is that I would be interested in converting a "dunham's" saiga-12 to look like the weapon shown in Aegisdei's avitar. Basically a shorter barrel, "AK" style furniture( dont care about folding stock), pistol grip, and large cap magazine. I realize the general design of the guns are all the same, but, can I do the upgrades slowly? Such as pistol grip w/ furniture, and a high cap magazine, then at a later time add the barrel with flash suppresser? I have looked but haven't seen any info on weither a standard gun would accept the BIG mags.

Does anyone make a complete "all in one box" kit for use on the rifles that the sporting goods stores. What is the approx cost of all of the parts to convert to 12c specs? I realize the price could vary a thousand dollars if the absolute most expensive parts were purchased. All work will be done by myself following instructions on this great site. If I could get the whole parts list together for under 300$ I will be going to the store this weekend and making a purchase. LOL

Thanks for being patient with my noob'ness.

Don't know of any 'kits'. Also the number of different combinations that have been done are astounding. Go over the old posts, you will find parts sources, how to's and links are all here--you just need to "mine" the sight. We are a talented and disorginized bunch here, so it will take some effort to gather the info from the 'archives', but well worth the effort.

G O B