Need help

I recently did a FC mod on my 16 in. 308, and finally got it to the range today. The first 10 rounds were great. I adjusted the front sight (colored insert) and made sure the mag was functional. Then the problem started. The action wouldn't lock up after each shot. At first I just jammed it closed with the heel of my hand, but it got harder to do as I shot. This didn't happen with the factory FCG.

When I changed out the hammer, I noticed it was a slightly different shape than the factory hammer. It had a slightly more pronounced striker side.

This made it harder to install the bolt and carrier, and I noticed the bolt drags across the hammer when the rifle is cocked.

I used a Tromix modified G2 trigger group. Does this group need further modification. It's no big deal to haul out the dremel and do the work. I'm just not sure that would fix the problem.

Any input or past experience would be appreciated.

post-26212-022108400 1286757274_thumb.jpg

post-26212-065240600 1286757288_thumb.jpg

That's what I thought when I did the installation. Do you think that would cause the problem I'm having?

Anything is possible, but if it gets worse with each shot - and doesn't stay the same - that would seem to indicate other influences at work.

The condition of "new FCG" I mentioned earlier gets better (to some small extent) with each shot, until the bolt carrier polishes it into shape.

Your function issue doesn't sound FCG related. The symptoms you described are the same I have when the chamber or locking lugs are not clean. Check, clean, and report back.

Does it go into battery fine without a round in it?

Your function issue doesn't sound FCG related. The symptoms you described are the same I have when the chamber or locking lugs are not clean. Check, clean, and report back.

Does it go into battery fine without a round in it?

It does go into battery, but the bolt carrier visibly slows as it crosses over the hammer. She'll get a good scrubbin anyway, just cause I won't stick my fingers in it unless it's clean.:rolleyes:

It will rub.. I took a fine dremel stone and just removed the finish from where it was rubbing..

Maybe remove the paint from the underside of the bolt area that runs over it....

Here is std G2 hammer and the factory hammer side-side.

Yours does look more 'pronounced' then the G2 as shown here..

post-8775-019292200 1286845836_thumb.jpg

You could lay them side-side and see the differences.. and adjust accordingly using care..

or just let it break in..

Al

Smoothed out the action on the new FCG I installed. Much improved carrier and trigger. Played with snap caps all week and finally got to the range today. After the first 5 rounds, same problem. This time I came better equiped. Had tools with me and started checking the componets as I fired.

After spending the better part of an hour trying to fix a problem I really didn't understand, I had that awful "AW SHIT" moment where I realized what the problem was. I went to the range shop and bought two different brands of 308 ammo and came back to the line and loaded the magazines. Forty rounds later, without any malfunctions, I realized the ammo I had been using was the problem. I was using reloads that had pre sized and primered brass. I usually run (even new) reload brass through a sizer die, but on this batch I had gotten a "good deal" at a gun show, and used them as is. They work just fine in my bolt actions, but this was the first time I had used them in a "semi". I'll try reloading from scratch, but if the same problem reoccurs, I guess I'll just have to stock up on factory 308.

Edited by CJS3