red dot vs. traditonal scope

Ok first post here. I have been weighing the pro's vs. cons of adding a red dot or traditional magnified optic to my .308. I have always had good luck being minute of man out to about 300 yards with my ARs and AKs, using aimpint comp ml3 2 moa red dots but am torn between squeezing the most accuracy out of my saiga 16" .308, or the freedom of both eye's open aiming and the unlimited eye relief of the red dot system. I have been really looking hard at the Accupoint 1-4 models, but not sure I wanna drop $600 +, on a scope right now. I realize there are other options rather than the accupoints in this 1-4 & 1-5 magnification class, but I have loved using these scopes in the past.

What is the hives thinking on this? Does the speed and ease of use of the red dot outweigh the accuracy gain from using a magnified optic. Most shooting I do is drills training, plinking out to 300 yards or so, and the occasional carbine course. I am leaning towards this rifle working into my primary rifle for HD, SHTF, etc...Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I vote for the red dot for the reasons you mentioned. I have a Vertex red dot with a doubler now but intend to get a second quick attach mount with a Redfield scope. I plan on switching optics when the situation requires, Anyone have any experience with this idea / system?

Red dot sights are more practical for real world use. Max engagement in home defense would be something like 25 yards, where magnification is a hindrance. In an extreme SHTF situation (societal breakdown), you probably still won't need to shoot past 100 yards, or 300 at the very most, and the red dot is good to go for those ranges. I suggest getting the red dot first. Later you might pick up a magnified scope which you could switch out as needed on side mount rails.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Have you considered something like this?http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx

I think quite a few companies make low power scopes with a 1x magnification and an illuminated dot or donut-dot. Kind of seems like the best of both worlds to me, however I haven't used one so I can't say from experience. You could always get a magnifier for your Aimpoint on a flip off mount so you could switch if a longer shot presented itself.

Have you considered something like this?http://swfa.com/Mill...cope-P9251.aspx

I think quite a few companies make low power scopes with a 1x magnification and an illuminated dot or donut-dot. Kind of seems like the best of both worlds to me, however I haven't used one so I can't say from experience. You could always get a magnifier for your Aimpoint on a flip off mount so you could switch if a longer shot presented itself.

I have used a few diff. 1x-3,4,5x scopes, and while they do ok, eye relief and head position are still very much a issue compared to the red dot, and it also still gives the feeling of looking through a tube. magnifier and red dot combos do work but I have found the tend to be heavier than a scope after adding mounts etc...+ to many variables for me in the actual use of the set-up. I would like to keep it pretty simple.

Where I live in a SHTF situation shots out to 300 yards and farther would be the norm, with house clearing, urban fighting very minimal.

Edited by jandswyo

I vote for the red dot for the reasons you mentioned. I have a Vertex red dot with a doubler now but intend to get a second quick attach mount with a Redfield scope. I plan on switching optics when the situation requires, Anyone have any experience with this idea / system?

Did you by chance mean to say that you've a 'Vortex' red dot, i.e. StrikeFire or SPARC with a doubler?

I've the StrikeFire and I can't stand the doubler, talk about tiny FoV... It just sucks period... And I'm a fan 'Vortex' products.

Ok first post here. I have been weighing the pro's vs. cons of adding a red dot or traditional magnified optic to my .308. I have always had good luck being minute of man out to about 300 yards with my ARs and AKs, using aimpint comp ml3 2 moa red dots but am torn between squeezing the most accuracy out of my saiga 16" .308, or the freedom of both eye's open aiming and the unlimited eye relief of the red dot system. I have been really looking hard at the Accupoint 1-4 models, but not sure I wanna drop $600 +, on a scope right now. I realize there are other options rather than the accupoints in this 1-4 & 1-5 magnification class, but I have loved using these scopes in the past.

What is the hives thinking on this? Does the speed and ease of use of the red dot outweigh the accuracy gain from using a magnified optic. Most shooting I do is drills training, plinking out to 300 yards or so, and the occasional carbine course. I am leaning towards this rifle working into my primary rifle for HD, SHTF, etc...Thanks in advance for any opinions.

For the usage you state, I'd go with either a standard red dot sight & magnifier combo ( get a good Flip to Side or QD mount), or a 1-4 red dot scope, such as the 'Millet DMS-2 1-4x32'.

You could mount a scope with a micro dot attached to it or mounted on a 45 degree off set. You see this set up on some competitive rifles. variable power scope and a good micro dot would give you both options but is rather pricey. I prefer a red dot unless I'm using the rifle as a dedicated distance weapon. Real world fighting happens at 300m or less unless you are on a very dedicated platform on a dedication mission sure as a SDM which is only shooting marginally farther then the rest of the squad. General purpose SHTF a red dot will do just fine.

The 2 optics setup does sound like a cool idea. This guy runs a red dot and a variable about 20 degrees apart (in relation to the bore axis).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pONHHUDx0Ys

Don't some of the Eotechs also have 223 holdover points that will get you to 300 yards? IIRC those dots on the Eotechs are 1moa, which should be precise enough for most SHTF distances.

<BR>
<BR>I vote for the red dot for the reasons you mentioned. I have a Vertex red dot with a doubler now but intend to get a second quick attach mount with a Redfield scope. I plan on switching optics when the situation requires, Anyone have any experience with this idea / system?<BR>
Did you by chance mean to say that you've a <I>'Vortex'</I> red dot, i.e. <I>StrikeFire</I> or <I>SPARC</I> with a doubler?<BR>I've the StrikeFire and I can't stand the doubler, talk about tiny FoV... It just sucks period... And I'm a fan <I>'Vortex'</I> products.<BR>
<BR>Your right on the spelling, I apologize. I agree that the doubler isn't much to brag about but it came with the optic. <BR><BR>Not to be picky but you started it, I think you meant "I've GOT the StikeFire". Edited by Chitlins