Military AK100 series Trunnions Flat or round

So far it is running about a 4/3 ratio for flat trunnion vs round trunnion on the Saigas. I am curious. I have been around Saigas for about 3 years now.. I m interested to know if Military trunnions on AK100 series are flat or round. Someone told me that round was military and flat was commercial, but he was not particularly savvy when it cam e to AKs. Probably need Nalioth or Big Sal to chime in on this one. I really do wonder why they make them two ways.

Thanks PA. Looks flat on the bottom and slightly rounded on top.

I can't say for sure cause I haven't personally inspected a Saiga rifle with a front trunnion that I could definitively say was "flat"; however, I can tell you that my rifle's front trunnion looks more "rounded" throughout. The bullet guide also has some noticable curvature and extends further back than any of the pics I can recall seeing of aftermarket, user-installed bullet guides, (dinzag's or homemade).

Here's a pic from another angle:

trunniontopview002.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Yea, that BG sticks out a good bit farther then my home made version. Mine functions flawlessly with the HP's and FMJ's i have run thru it (BB, GT, Tula). Guess protrusion into the mag well is a moot point when discussing BG's (to a degree anyway).

post-20217-036159000 1287452330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mullet Man
I can't say for sure cause I haven't personally inspected a Saiga rifle with a front trunnion that I could definitively say was "flat"; however, I can tell you that my rifle's front trunnion looks more "rounded" throughout.

The trunion on your rifle pictured is without a doubt a flat trunion just like most x39s. It appears the bullet guide installed is flat at the bottom and rounded at the top of it, and a little longer than most commercial ones. Held in by a rivet.

Round trunion rifles have a skate board half-pipe looking trunion, the flat ones have the same half pipe shape on the sides but the bottom has a flat section.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

Yea, that BG sticks out a good bit farther then my home made version. Mine functions flawlessly with the HP's and FMJ's i have run thru it (BB, GT, Tula). Guess protrusion into the mag well is a moot point when discussing BG's (to a degree anyway)...

Seems that way. Mine's had no problems feeding any/all ammo.

I'm guessing it's just overbuilt. *shrug*

Edited by post-apocalyptic