Tritium sight on a S12

I should have the Saiga tomorrow. Until then, Cliff or Keith at Tac 47 will have to post how they installed it, if they wish to do so.

WJ

WJ, THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE SEXIEST GODDAMN LOW PROFILE TRITIUM SIGHT I HAVE EVER SEEN ON AN S12 :smoke:

They sure did a good job on ur gun! I wanted to install a Krebs sight onto my barrel and then use XS's Tritium AR BIG dot sight as a replacement inside the Krebs sight post (i think some posted about doing that b4?) but because of the price and the "fiber opticness" :haha: lol, of the TFO sight on ur's, don't be mad that I want to do the same damn thing! THAT IS WICKED!!

Copy away! That's fine with me, I am glad you like the sight.

I picked the Saiga up a few hours ago. I have not yet gotten it home to really look it over, but my initial impression is very favorable (as I knew it would be due to Tac 47's reputation for quality). The manager of my gunshop really liked it and he is not even a Saiga guy. The guys at the gunshop all really liked the sight, the colors and the quality of the finish. They don't always rant and rave about S-12s, but this one really got their attention.

Great job Cliff and Keith!

WJ

I been thinking of how badass that TFO sight truely is all day since this morning when I left that last post, but then I started thinking, because it is located directly on top with nothing around it (like a regular sight post)...I wonder how TUFF that thing would actually be on the has block where it is on your gun. I mean, if it got bumped while riding in the back of a vechile with ohter guns, or fell over while standing up or osmething, would it stay on well and not crack/chip/break/fall off of your has block? IDK if you would be able to answer this due to we are still waiting on a repsponse on how the sight is actually attached. Is it expoxy'd? I know XS sight systems (BIG DOT SIGHT) does say to epoxy their sights to your gun. Could Tac47 or WJ please explain how that Truglo sight is attached to the gas block?

I been thinking of how badass that TFO sight truely is all day since this morning when I left that last post, but then I started thinking, because it is located directly on top with nothing around it (like a regular sight post)...I wonder how TUFF that thing would actually be on the has block where it is on your gun. I mean, if it got bumped while riding in the back of a vechile with ohter guns, or fell over while standing up or osmething, would it stay on well and not crack/chip/break/fall off of your has block? IDK if you would be able to answer this due to we are still waiting on a repsponse on how the sight is actually attached. Is it expoxy'd? I know XS sight systems (BIG DOT SIGHT) does say to epoxy their sights to your gun. Could Tac47 or WJ please explain how that Truglo sight is attached to the gas block?

EDIT: GAS block not has block, for all clarity.

I just looked the shotgun over and Keith and Cliff fabricated a metal "hood," or cover, over the receiver side of the gas block. It is very nicely done and fits very well. The hood was then drilled and tapped and the sight screwed on. It appears to be more than substantial enough for any reasonable use and abuse.

Keith or Cliff, feel free to correct or add on to this statement as necessary if you wish.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I just looked the shotgun over and Keith and Cliff fabricated a metal "hood," or cover, over the receiver side of the gas block. It is very nicely done and fits very well. The hood was then drilled and tapped and the sight screwed on. It appears to be more than substantial enough for any reasonable use and abuse.

Keith or Cliff, feel free to correct or add on to this statement as necessary if you wish.

WJ

very interesting. so does it appear that the tritium tube and fiber were removed from the houseing (is there screws below the tube) to screw down the sight or what? would you kindly post a picture? I am very interested in how it was done.

WJ

very interesting. so does it appear that the tritium tube and fiber were removed from the houseing (is there screws below the tube) to screw down the sight or what? would you kindly post a picture? I am very interested in how it was done.

Yes, the screws are below the tube, so the tube had to be removed to tighten them. I'll see if I can get some close ups tomorrow.

WJ

I want to put the biggest, fattest, brightest tritium dot possible on my S12 to replace the factory sight.

The factory sight are fine with me, I'd just like to upgrade my gun with a tritium front sight for low light shooting

I'm sure some one else has done this I'm just curious what you used and how you installed it.

Any front sight that clamps on to the barrel is out the window since I'm doing this on a 12" SBS with a stock length gas system.

I didn't have much luck with the search function.

Any ideas or how to tips would be great

thanks

If you like the truglo option I have one I would sell.

WJ

You got it... WJ.. Just a lil fab work..

And thank you for the complement its is always appreciated

• Like 1

I have been lookin at the sight on Amazon; Apparently it comes with a sight removal tool so that you may access the base plate of the houseing to screw it down. Hey WJ, now that you actually have your gun back, may I ask, how bright it stands out/shines in daylight and in low light?

post-16266-0-69707600-1288360492_thumb.jpg

Cool.

How does that install though?

Also, where's the rear??? Or is it just to point & shoot with shot & not for slug accuracy?

Strictly point and shoot--no rear sight. This was going to be a home defense shotgun, done in all black. But, I had an extra od green grip, so I sent it to Keith and Cliff and decided to change the whole color scheme of the gun. So, the final iteration evolved a bit from the home defense "night fighter" concept, but that is okay, as I am a big fan of od green and tan.

As to the mounting, I do not yet have the shotgun, it should be here Monday, so I have to leave that discussion to Keith and Cliff.

WJ

Jeeeezzz Will. You SOOOOO SUCK with all your incredible S-12s; I'm envious as all hell.

And THAT front sight is unquestionably "off the hook!!!!" Trits the SHIT!

:super: . . . :super: . . . :super: . . . :super:

Edited by Gary

post-16266-0-69707600-1288360492_thumb.jpg

Cool.

How does that install though?

Also, where's the rear??? Or is it just to point & shoot with shot & not for slug accuracy?

Strictly point and shoot--no rear sight. This was going to be a home defense shotgun, done in all black. But, I had an extra od green grip, so I sent it to Keith and Cliff and decided to change the whole color scheme of the gun. So, the final iteration evolved a bit from the home defense "night fighter" concept, but that is okay, as I am a big fan of od green and tan.

As to the mounting, I do not yet have the shotgun, it should be here Monday, so I have to leave that discussion to Keith and Cliff.

WJ

Jeeeezzz Will. You SOOOOO SUCK with all your incredible S-12s; I'm envious as all hell.

And THAT front sight is unquestionably "off the hook!!!!" Trits the SHIT!

:super: . . . :super: . . . :super: . . . :super:

Thanks Gary.

I am very pleased with the sight. It looks great.

No time to take close up pictures tonight, I got wrapped up in family matters.

WJ

Okay, better late than never. I should have wiped the gun off before I took the pictures as there is lint and dust, etc., showing in the first picture. The last two turned out fuzzy, but what the heck, I suck as a photographer.

100_2577.jpg

100_2594.jpg

100_2591.jpg

100_2588.jpg

100_2582.jpg

100_2584.jpg

Edited by WarriorJudge

Looks good WJ! I am pumped to get mine in a few days thanks to the inspiration of you and Tac47!

I received my TRUGLO tritium fiber optic sight and want to do a quick review for every1 on the product since this thread relates to tritium specifically. It is extremely bright during most lighted conditions although it isn't very bright at all in low light/dark conditions but is still visible. After taking it apart (sliding the fiber out of the houseing) I found out why. It is because the small tube of tritium they use is located and positioned at the front of the metal houseing BEHIND the high viz fiber where it is not even actually visible when the fiber is put back into the houseing. If TRUGLO found a way to put the tritium INSIDE the fiber optic bar, I'm sure it would be a LOT brighter. It is a great high visibility shotgun sight tho and for those interested, outdoor bunker sells it on Amazon for like $65 shipped. I do reccomend it although i would like to try out a Krebs combat shotgun sight with XS sight systems AR15 tritium sight post replacing the factory sight post because the tritium is directly exposed and would be much bright i imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

post-19378-0-63979600-1290540380_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-01074700-1290540398_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-39573700-1290540531_thumb.jpg

post-19378-0-11066300-1290540434_thumb.jpg

Jus wanted to show off my Krebs sight with XS big dot tritium sight post (summa bitch is BRIGHT in low light). I love how this thing stands out! I was using the Truglo Tritium Fiber Optic Front Sight and decided it just wasn't bright enough :haha: I reccomend the shit out of this as well!