Do you think chaos should offer a quad rail with a shorter top rail li

Chaos Quad Rail; should they offer the shorter top rail?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. If chaos offered their quad rail in the old configuration, with the top rail ending before reaching the dust cover, would you be interested?

• Yes, I'd like an option of a shorter top rail
    • No, the longer version is ideal
    • Not for me, but makes sense to offer it in their line
    • I really object to rails on this gun anyways, so I shouldn't even be voting.
  2. 2. How is your current or desired top rail set-up

• Top rail extends over dust cover, optics are mounted on it
    • Top rail extends over dust cover, Iron sights are mounted on either end
    • Top rail ends before dust cover, optics are mounted on it
    • Top rail ends before dust cover, Iron sights are mounted on either end
    • Other (please describe)

I was talking with Camron of Chaos and asked if he knew if they would ever bring back the old quad rail with the top rail that ended before the dust cover, he suggested I see if there are others looking for the same thing. I was figuring for those who run some sort of optic on the top rail, you wouldn't like either the additional length and weight of the current offerings and would prefer the shorter top rail. I would appreciate your honest feedback on the topic.

Being that it's modular and not that hard to shorten the current version, he could probably offer a limited run of shorter top rails just to see how it works, but it doesn't take much to shorten one on your own. I like where it puts the micro dot style sight all the way to the back. If you're using irons, you might as well go full length which is a different conversation. If you want your dot closer to the front , I'd just get a dovetail base and mount it lower too and loose the weight of the rail.

Edited by 6500rpm

Really, I run a Chaos Extended Quad Rail because It's convenient. I have an AFG on the bottom rail which is super comfortable and the Chaos front sight with an LPA BAR adjustable ghost ring rear sight. I couldn't run that ghost ring rear without the extended rail, and the extra few inches of sight radius makes a big difference with the ghost ring rear.

If I was going to put a light on it it would need to go on the left side because of where my hand rests using the AFG.

You should run a gun because it's comfortable and functional. If you're worrying about putting things on a gun or not putting things on a gun because of how it looks, then I think you're missing the point. The gun is a tool. A tool should do it's job to the best of it's ability. Period.

I was talking with Camron of Chaos and asked if he knew if they would ever bring back the old quad rail with the top rail that ended before the dust cover, he suggested I see if there are others looking for the same thing. I was figuring for those who run some sort of optic on the top rail, you wouldn't like either the additional length and weight of the current offerings and would prefer the shorter top rail. I would appreciate your honest feedback on the topic.

Well, I can't vote because my opinion isn't represented in the options - but I'd love to have a LONGER top rail on the Chaos.. all the way back to nearly the end of the dust cover would be ideal, for me. Or - and perhaps just as good, a side-mount rail that is designed to mate up and be the same height as the Chaos top rail.

This would give a longer sight radius for irons, which I would like. It would also provide more convenient options for co-witnessing different sighting systems on the same level of rail. I actually prefer my 1x optics mounted a bit further back than most seem to, in order to co-witness with a NV device properly.

The only expense besides a bit more weight, would be it would be somewhat more difficult to take the dust cover off .. but I don't think it would be a huge problem.

Michael, I cut a few inches off the back of my Chaos extended top rail and bought a section of rail blank that matched the profile of the Chaos part and attached it to a BP-02 low side rail. My rail extends full length, gas block to end of cover and removing the cover is easy since the rear section is mounted to the side rail. The bitch is a lack of low sights to mount to the rail that work well on a shotty.

post-1866-0-30302000-1288748315_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm