Thumbhole stocks & MA

I've been perusing these boards heavily now for the last few days and have surmised from what I've read that pistol grips ar a huge no-no in this POS state. So my only option is a thumbhole stock, but this seems to be my only option:

stock.jpg

Are there any other thumbhole stocks available for the S12? I've been looking and looking and have yet to come across a different style. If anyone has suggestions please post a link. Thanks and my search continues.

Pistol grips are a no go. 1 evil feature in MA and that is your detachable box mag.

Something like that is your only choice for unconverted. Other than that you will have to convert (worth the effort) and then find an SLR-95 you would have to modify, wood Norinco style which should fit or one of the dragonov style stocks available. How many parts you need to comply with 922 might also work toward your stock decision.

If you decide on the Russian one above, an SLR-95, or Norinco thumbhole stock. Let me know, I have one of each I would part with at a reasonable cost. I have a Romanian too... probably not what you had in mind... I used the Russian for awhile, I liked it just fine. If you shoot left handed alot, there just isn't a good place to rotate the cheek piece if you are not using it for optics.

I've been perusing these boards heavily now for the last few days and have surmised from what I've read that pistol grips ar a huge no-no in this POS state. So my only option is a thumbhole stock, but this seems to be my only option:

stock.jpg

Are there any other thumbhole stocks available for the S12? I've been looking and looking and have yet to come across a different style. If anyone has suggestions please post a link. Thanks and my search continues.

I have this one: http://www.troupsystems.com/saiga.htm

The advantage is that is made in the USA. I like keeping my money in the country when I can, and it counts towards 922r compliance.

The advantage is that is made in the USA. I like keeping my money in the country when I can, and it counts towards 922r compliance.

Whoah! Hey now, I'm really liking these. What kind of finish do they have, glossy, matte? Not that it really matters, but just trying to get an idea. How do the handguards fare with heat dispersion? These are nice indeed and thanks for the link!

saiga1.jpg

I got mine from the same guy.

I do not have it mounted. Long story but did some work for a guy and traded some labor and he is using the guard as a template to make me an SLR style stock only longer and a guard with some different styling for the front hand guard. This guy (think master craftsman / sculptor) did not like the wood and said he had some stuff at the shop that would be much more visually interesting than the tiger maple.

For me I wet the tiger maple and thought it would have looked fantastic. The one I have is for an SVD and it is made of 3 pieces laminated. Looks to have mostly been done on a table saw for barrel clearance and maybe a router table for the slotting. All in all way better than the factory stuff and done very well. For the $ I can not see how you could go wrong. I had the front guard in about 1-2 weeks and he had told me when I ordered that he did not have any hand guards available. I intend on getting a complete set at a later date for the .410 as the custom set will be used on the 20ga

I just got a reply back from Rhineland Arms and the guy said that the handguard definately won't fit a 12ga and wasn't sure if the stock would work. Guess he hasn't tried. He did mention that he wants to make sets for the S12, but wont begin production to early next year. Sounds like it's in the works. Guess I'll be waiting. In the meantime I'll just go with the RAA stock, it'll serve for now.

If you decide on the Russian one above, an SLR-95, or Norinco thumbhole stock. Let me know, I have one of each I would part with at a reasonable cost. I have a Romanian too... probably not what you had in mind... I used the Russian for awhile, I liked it just fine. If you shoot left handed alot, there just isn't a good place to rotate the cheek piece if you are not using it for optics.

Hey Jager, so you have this then ?:

stock.jpg

I plan on painting it OD Green, but what's the condition like and how much friend?

Edited by massive_stoopid

Whoah! Hey now, I'm really liking these. What kind of finish do they have, glossy, matte? Not that it really matters, but just trying to get an idea. How do the handguards fare with heat dispersion? These are nice indeed and thanks for the link!

saiga1.jpg

No problem. Not sure what finishes are available (if any!) I got them unfinished. I put two coats of walnut stain on them and a clear coat of matte sealer. Came out a bit darker than the picture, but I really like it on my S12.

The buttstock slips right on. The front guard requires a bit of minor fitting, as it is designed for a Saiga rifle, not the S12. But it isn't very difficult to do. I just used sandpaper, elbow grease, and sawed it down a bit because I wanted it shorter.

As for heat - I haven't noticed a problem at all, and I have been known to put 50 or 80 shells of buck downrange as fast as I can. Pricey. But I believe in giving my shoulder a workout.

I just got a reply back from Rhineland Arms and the guy said that the handguard definately won't fit a 12ga and wasn't sure if the stock would work. Guess he hasn't tried. He did mention that he wants to make sets for the S12, but wont begin production to early next year. Sounds like it's in the works. Guess I'll be waiting. In the meantime I'll just go with the RAA stock, it'll serve for now.

Bleh. I'm using it right now!

The butt goes on with nothing but a screw driver.

The handguard fits with some minor work.. like I said, I just used sandpaper. You could get the butt and wait for him to produce an S12 specific handguard if you're leary of the work.