Full Auto Bolt Carrier in my Saiga??!!!

Hey guys, I was looking at my bolt carrier in my saiga today and I think it is a full auto carrier. I did not know they were imported this way...interesting.....I compared it with one of my Maadi's that I know to be a full auto bolt carrier and it looks similair. The full auto cam on the saiga bolt carrier is much more angular though (the maadi is much more of a gradual slope as opposed to the saiga's 90 degree angle.) Not sure if it is actually made for the auto seer or if that cam is there just for the bolt hold open mechanism. What do you guys think? Just curious.

Hey guys, I was looking at my bolt carrier in my saiga today and I think it is a full auto carrier. I did not know they were imported this way...interesting.....I compared it with one of my Maadi's that I know to be a full auto bolt carrier and it looks similair. The full auto cam on the saiga bolt carrier is much more angular though (the maadi is much more of a gradual slope as opposed to the saiga's 90 degree angle.) Not sure if it is actually made for the auto seer or if that cam is there just for the bolt hold open mechanism. What do you guys think? Just curious.

More than likely its semi auto but who knows. Pictures?

All the Saiga rifles are like that.

Tony

All Saiga rifles are like what? Full auto bolt carriers?

Semi-auto. Being full auto/select fire I think pertains to the fire control group(FCG). there are a few more parts ie. Auto sear, that make full auto/SF possible. I'm not sure though being I'm relying off of what I've seen on the kvar website

All the Saiga rifles are like that.

Tony

All Saiga rifles are like what? Full auto bolt carriers?

It's not a full auto carrier and all Saiga bolt carriers come that way.

Your original description is why it's not a full auto carrier.

The full auto cam on the saiga bolt carrier is much more angular though (the maadi is much more of a gradual slope as opposed to the saiga's 90 degree angle.)

If the cut was in the rail for the auto sear and if you had the auto sear that small piece of the carrier might not be far enough forward to hit the lever arm of the auto sear. Even if it was far enough forward, the face of it being 90 degrees would beat up the lever arm of the auto sear. That's why your maadi carrier has that gradual slope.

Bottom line is if someone was to do a FA conversion they'd still have to add material/metal to the carrier. It just be a tad easier with a Saiga bolt carrier.

For everyone else here is a pic of what winstonLT is talking about(Saiga is the big one, normal FA is small):

4535254.jpg

Those aren't the best examples. One of my Saiga bolt carriers doesn't have that much material. It's thinner.