Saiga 12 Ejecting Failure

Hey everyone. Im new to the S12 forum. I have a Saiga 12 and was freakin excited to get it to the range. I converted it by moving the trigger forward, adjustable stock, and pistol grip. i never shot the weapon prior to the conversion. so is the conversion to blame in Failure To Eject problem? Ive read a little about the problem and checked the gas ports i only see 1 whole port in the center and another that i can barely see towards the edge closest to the end of the gas tube. havent removed the block not sure im experienced enuff for that i did do the conversion myself but this modification of drilling more holes scares me lol. im thinkin Vodka special. #%&@ i hope not. I only shot game loads i think #8 low brass federal. Being new to shooting stuff i didn't think of the reg position or trying a 00 or slug rnd. Ok there is a hole on the gas block left side im guessing like a pressure relief, or blow off. I noticed it when putting my qaud rail on. Now would plugging that hole be a bad idea? Or could that be enuff to fix the FTE problem. Thanx peeps

Hello and welcome.

Do NOT plug that hole. It won't help to that. It's part of the design. What you will need to do is take the gas block off and open up the hole some in the bottom where it is covering your ports. They need to all be open the breath freely or you won't get enough gas to cycle the action with light loads.

Your hammer is also most likely causing extra drag on the bolt carrier. Most of the US made FCGs on the market have a hammer with a higher and more intrusive profile than the factory hammer.

It really helps a lot to re profile and polish the bolt and carrier, as well as the FCG. There are other areas that can be improved also but these are the key areas needing addressed at this point.

Hello and welcome.

Do NOT plug that hole. It won't help to that. It's part of the design. What you will need to do is take the gas block off and open up the hole some in the bottom where it is covering your ports. They need to all be open the breath freely or you won't get enough gas to cycle the action with light loads.

Your hammer is also most likely causing extra drag on the bolt carrier. Most of the US made FCGs on the market have a hammer with a higher and more intrusive profile than the factory hammer.

It really helps a lot to re profile and polish the bolt and carrier, as well as the FCG. There are other areas that can be improved also but these are the key areas needing addressed at this point.

Ya think maybe he should remove his hanguard he put on it first maybe work in reverse before he tears the gas block off and goes cutting away on it?:rolleyes:

I would also recommend making sure you're using the correct gas setting. Lighter loads (low brass) should be shot using the #2 position. Screw the plug all the way in and then back it off 2 full rotations. It may be as simple as that, but if your ports are partially covered by the gas block, you will need to remove it and open up the hole where the ports are being obstructed, like Cobra said. While you have your gas block off, it would also be wise to measure your port diameter. I believe the proper port sizes are 3 at 3/32" or 4 at 5/64"

Edited by DrGonZo

Hello and welcome.

Ya think maybe he should remove his hanguard he put on it first maybe work in reverse before he tears the gas block off and goes cutting away on it?:rolleyes:

Derrrr...ya think?

Guess you missed the part where he said "Ive read a little about the problem and checked the gas ports i only see 1 whole port in the center and another that i can barely see towards the edge closest to the end of the gas tube."

Taking off the HG to uncover the pressure relief hole isn't going to make any difference if the ports are blocked by the gas block.

Strip a 12 gauge wire and try inserting it into all the visible gas ports. If, the stripped copper wire doesn't fit into all three holes then, you'll need the ports enlarged and maybe the gas block dremmeled to expose all the ports.

Do NOT despair these really are awesome guns to fire.

Hello and welcome.

Derrrr...ya think?

Guess you missed the part where he said "Ive read a little about the problem and checked the gas ports i only see 1 whole port in the center and another that i can barely see towards the edge closest to the end of the gas tube."

Taking off the HG to uncover the pressure relief hole isn't going to make any difference if the ports are blocked by the gas block.

And maybe you missed the part where he said "havent removed the block not sure im experienced enuff for that i did do the conversion myself but this modification of drilling more holes scares me lol. "

It was the sentence right after the one you quoted. There are other things that can be checked to make sure he knows what he's looking at. I was having similar problems and decided to do a bit of reading before I did anything. But what would I know my gun runs now so what do I care maybe he should whack the bbl off with a hack saw and profile the bolt with an angle grinder to get his up and running.:ded:

Ok, just been reading alot of stuff on this. I hate reading but atleast its sumthing I like. So another glance into the gas block and I have three ports. they are open and i can shove a small pick set tool in them and see them when i look down the barrel so 3 ports confirmed. So im thinkin if the pick goes through, then gas can get in with no probs. i deffinitly need to take it out soon with some 00, cuz thats really what is supposed to be used in these shotties, or slugs. Maybe thats wat is needed. im trying to do the easy stuff i hear everyone trying b4 banging, clanging, drilling, porting, polishing, or grinding. keep up the good posts.

Edited by thar3v3r3nd