Photo
- - - - -

Is it okay to shoot steel shot from an S-12?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WarriorJudge

WarriorJudge

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:18 PM

I have been reading about the use of steel shot, as opposed to softer lead shot. It appears that using steel shot in older shotguns, particularly over and unders and side by sides, can damage their thinner and softer steel barrels.

Does anyone shoot steel shot in their Saiga? Do you think it will harm the barrel? I have no idea if the S-12's barrel would be considered significantly thicker, stronger, or more durable, than those found in twenty or thirty+ year old shotguns or guns with two barrels.

Thanks,

WJ
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt, May 13, 1903.

#2 sunnybean

sunnybean

I'm just here to watch the fights

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:22 PM

I've shot a few hundred rounds of steel through mine. No problem. You want to watch that you don't choke it down too far, though. Dad always said that if you could slip a dime into the muzzle then you're gtg.
'TonyRumore', on 16 Nov 2011 - 9:42 PM, said:
...and you have to be a complete dorkwad or mall ninja to run around hunting with a mag fed gun, pulling the fucking mag out every shot and dicking around loading a shell and jamming it back in the gun when you can just stuff one in the tube. Even with multiple mags, it's a serious pain in the ass and takes two hands. That's a major drawback when hunting since you need to keep one hand on the gun and the other on your beer............

Tony

#3 sgmgsg9

sgmgsg9

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

I've shot a few hundred rounds of steel through mine. No problem. You want to watch that you don't choke it down too far, though. Dad always said that if you could slip a dime into the muzzle then you're gtg.

Yeah dude, steel is not as malleable (malleable = soft/ bendy) as lead shot. Lead shot will conform to exit a shotgun barrel, steel shot not so much. There for if you push to much steel shot on a heavily choked barrel you can do damage to your gun. Matter of fact @ work we use steel shot to surface harden M-16 bolts for our rifles. The steel shot is hard enough to hammer the surface of the bolts harder. The bolts are steel too. It's true that most shot is loaded in a small plastic cups/wads, but would you trust that small plastic cup/wad to protect your barrel all the way out under pressure?

#4 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

I hope so because i have about 800-1000rds of steel shot thru mine (WIN super x bulk 1320fps rated).

Its in a plastic shot cup, there isnt any direct contact with the barrel. It shouldnt hurt anything i would think.

Edited by Mullet Man, 19 November 2010 - 07:51 PM.

Are you a resident of Illinois? Join www.Illinoiscarry.com

Items for sale...http://forum.saiga-1...-vepr12-and-ak/

#5 stansplace

stansplace

Proponent of Reality

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have shot quite a few (100) steel turkey loads down the pipe on mine with no problems.
308=LESSZOMBIES
A handguns primary purpose is to fight your way back to the rifle you
shouldn't have laid down in the first place.

Definition of Paranoia: The rational reaction to the realization of reality.

#6 sunnybean

sunnybean

I'm just here to watch the fights

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

Yeah dude, steel is not as malleable (malleable = soft/ bendy) as lead shot. Lead shot will conform to exit a shotgun barrel, steel shot not so much. There for if you push to much steel shot on a heavily choked barrel you can do damage to your gun. Matter of fact @ work we use steel shot to surface harden M-16 bolts for our rifles. The steel shot is hard enough to hammer the surface of the bolts harder. The bolts are steel too. It's true that most shot is loaded in a small plastic cups/wads, but would you trust that small plastic cup/wad to protect your barrel all the way out under pressure?

Are you for real with this?
'TonyRumore', on 16 Nov 2011 - 9:42 PM, said:
...and you have to be a complete dorkwad or mall ninja to run around hunting with a mag fed gun, pulling the fucking mag out every shot and dicking around loading a shell and jamming it back in the gun when you can just stuff one in the tube. Even with multiple mags, it's a serious pain in the ass and takes two hands. That's a major drawback when hunting since you need to keep one hand on the gun and the other on your beer............

Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users