Poly-Choke With Barrel Nut???

I ordered the standard poly-choke from CSS and there was a side note on the page that said a barrel nut was recommended so I ordered one of those also. I can see how it would make sure the choke is in the same spot each time it is removed and reinstalled but I wanna make sure I have it on the right way/make sure the 1/8" or more gap on the inside it puts between the choke/barrel isn't going to hurt the threads on the poly-choke that are exposed in the gap or blow the choke off when pellets/slugs hit in the gap. I'm new to shotguns so please ignore any naiveness on the issue. The poly-choke fits flush without the nut so theres my confusion.

Thanks,

George

I ordered the standard poly-choke from CSS and there was a side note on the page that said a barrel nut was recommended so I ordered one of those also. I can see how it would make sure the choke is in the same spot each time it is removed and reinstalled but I wanna make sure I have it on the right way/make sure the 1/8" or more gap on the inside it puts between the choke/barrel isn't going to hurt the threads on the poly-choke that are exposed in the gap or blow the choke off when pellets/slugs hit in the gap. I'm new to shotguns so please ignore any naiveness on the issue. The poly-choke fits flush without the nut so theres my confusion.

Thanks,

George

I recommend the barrel nut because it allows you to easily remove the muzzle brake if needed. Loctite requires a torch usually to remove the brake. It weighs less than 1oz so dead weight is really not an issue.

• Like 1

So screw the barrel nut on with the threaded side toward the killing end of the barrel and it the gap it causes between the poly-choke and barrel will not cause damage to the poly choke or barrel when fired?

Also whats the best setting for 3" 00 Buckshot?

Thanks,

George

Edited by poolege

I got a barrel nut with my etac mini-talon breech/brake(which rocks), and I'm kinda confused about how to effectively use it too. I just don't get how it holds the mini-talon on any better than without it, it's not computing, but then I'm brain-damaged and functionally mechanically retarded so.... :ded:

I'm not sure if I'm not using it right, am just missing the concept, or if it's just not so helpful with the muzzle device I have? Anyone care to clarify the confusion?

PS - Can't the Chaos Porkypine also be used essentially as an elaborate barrel nut?

It takes some finagling to get the nut to lock the brake in place but it is certainly doable. Its really easy if you don't need to orient the brake with a certain side up. I run one on my Saiga12 to hold my JTE brake in place it must have the unported portion down so it takes some fine tuning to do so exactly right

So the threads on the barrel nut should be up and even with the barrel nut screwed all the way down theres a noticable gap between the barrel and the poly choke on the inside, is this ok? The barrel nut only has threads on one end. Seems like it would be better to have no gap inside the barrel between the barrel and the poly choke.

Thanks,

George

So the threads on the barrel nut should be up and even with the barrel nut screwed all the way down theres a noticable gap between the barrel and the poly choke on the inside, is this ok? The barrel nut only has threads on one end. Seems like it would be better to have no gap inside the barrel between the barrel and the poly choke.

Thanks,

George

The unthreaded part goes on first towards the back of the gun to act as a shroud. No gap will be visible.

There is a gap. Even when screwing them both all the way down theres at least a 1/8" or more gap between the barrel and where the threads end for the choke. Without the nut it fits flush. That means theres 1/8" or more of threads or more if I run the barrel nut up a little to lock the choke on. This is my concern I don't want pellets going in the gap and damaging the choke threads or worse.

Thanks,

George

• 4 months later...

There is a gap. Even when screwing them both all the way down theres at least a 1/8" or more gap between the barrel and where the threads end for the choke. Without the nut it fits flush. That means theres 1/8" or more of threads or more if I run the barrel nut up a little to lock the choke on. This is my concern I don't want pellets going in the gap and damaging the choke threads or worse.

Thanks,

George

I have same gap w/ same setup. Is this ok? I am worried about same thing

The OP is talking about a poly-choke, NOT a brake, and the interior threads on the poly-choke being exposed with the use of the barrel nut. The poly-choke is designed so the inner diameter (bore)of the choke meets the bore of the barrel. With the barrel nut a gap will occur. Don't use it.

Edited by Yeoldetool