Reviews of This Optics Mount

Please share your thoughts on the Leaper/UTG quick-release AK optic mount. How does it rate for strength, durability, repeatability (on & off without loss of zero), ease of use, etc. I am considering it for use on my converted S-308. I know that I don't care for the 'side cheese grater,' but if it rates well otherwise, I'll live with it! (Maybe have to attack it with a coarse file & some flat black spray paint! ;)

Thanks in advance.

Old SF

post-1577-0-70136900-1290613886_thumb.jpg

I have one and I like it. I have only had it about a month.

It locks down securely. It is advertised that it returns to 0 when removed and reattached. Mine didn't do that very well but I blame that on a cheap chinese scope.

You can't use the irons with it so being able to remove it is a plus.

It replaced a Promag mount that I had. The promag had the advantage of being able to use the irons. However, the scope was so high it looked pretty silly.

I had one, sent it back the only way it would lock up solid is if I tightened the adjustment screw on the bottom and that meant you were unable to remove it by hand without loosening the screw. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I have one on my Saiga-12. Using a cheap red-dot, I didn't have much hope for a good zero 'holding on'. However, I've done the on and off several times, and checked the zero with a boresight laser twice during that time...and it is close enough for government work (for me). I did notice that you really need to move it ALL THE WAY onto the side plate to get the matching lock-on each time.

"Works for Me". BTW I got it from CSS

AL

I have one on my Saiga-12. Using a cheap red-dot, I didn't have much hope for a good zero 'holding on'. However, I've done the on and off several times, and checked the zero with a boresight laser twice during that time...and it is close enough for government work (for me). I did notice that you really need to move it ALL THE WAY onto the side plate to get the matching lock-on each time.

"Works for Me". BTW I got it from CSS

AL

I have one on my 16" and it is secure and locks up fine. If yours is not tight enough, remove it, adjust the screw on the bottom ccw to tighten it. It doesn't take much to make it tight. I adjusted mine to the point where it was somewhat difficult to close the lever lock by hand and it is rock solid. I like it for my primary sighting using a scope. I only plan to remove mine should something happen to the scope. The irons are already zeroed (as good as I can with my eyes anyway), so if I need to, I can just lift the lever and I am ready to go. From what I have heard, most people that have problems with these mounts is due to something being wrong with the side mounts on their rifle. Mine will shoot 1" groups at 100 yds from a bench rest with good ammo.