Timbersmith Furniture On My Saiga Conversion - How To?

I got some Timbersmith furniture to put on my in progress Saiga conversion, but I'm not exactly sure how it goes on (no instructions that I can see). It comes with six screws, four long and two short, and I'm not sure which screws to use on which parts. Does anyone have the instructions or maybe you could just tell me how this goes on? I'm also not sure how the pistol grip goes on either.

Screws are for the buttstock, they sent extras for different receivers?

The TimberSmith stock goes on just like the original came off, two (long) on the top & one (long) on the bottom.

Mount new stock, mark holes, drill pilot holes, insert screws & tighten.

Mounting the pistol grip requires the pistol grip bolt & nut, which comes with the TimberSmith set.

Your receiver will need a pistol grip hole. Some come with one from the factory, others will need one cut.

The front hand guards require you buy a gas tube retainer & lower handguard retainer.

Upper: http://store.carolin...gas-tube/Detail

Lower: http://store.carolin...-Bracket/Detail

..........................................................................................

Your doing a full conversion, moving the trigger group forward, correct?

Have you removed the original FCG, trigger guard & cover plate?

Is there a square pistol grip hole present on the receiver?

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Screws are for the buttstock, they sent extras.

The TimberSmith stock goes on just like the original came off, two (long) on the top & one (short) on the bottom.

Mount new stock, mark holes, drill pilot holes, insert screws & tighten.

Mounting the pistol grip requires the pistol grip bolt & nut, which comes with the TimberSmith set.

Your receiver will need a pistol grip hole. Some come with one from the factory, others will need one cut.

The front hand guards require you buy a gas tube retainer & lower handguard retainer.

Upper: http://store.carolin...gas-tube/Detail

Lower: http://store.carolin...-Bracket/Detail

.............................................................................. ............

Your doing a full conversion, moving the trigger group forward, correct?

Have you removed the original FCG, trigger guard & cover plate?

Is there a square pistol grip hole present on the receiver?

That still doesn't make sense. On the buttstock, there are seven possible holes. Two in the buttpad, two on the sling ring and three where it attaches to the rifle. It comes with six screws, four long and two short.

My conversion is just about complete and yes, I did those things you ask at the bottom.

The butt plate and sling swivel came pre-installed, correct?

They should have, at least it is marketed that way, that leaves the screws for the stock.

The various lengths/number of screws then must be meant to accommodate various receivers.

The Saiga receiver will use three of those screws.

Edit to add:

Or was this a unfinished Birch set? On this one the plate/swivel are not pre-installed.

If this is the case, your short one long screw.

3 long in the stock

2 long in the plate

2 short in the swivel

Edited by ChileRelleno

They should have, at least it is marketed that way, that leaves the screws for the stock.

The various lengths/number of screws then must be meant to accommodate various receivers.

Whoops, sorry, forgot to mention I got the unfinished set. The swivel and buttplate did not come preinstalled. I used the two short screws on the swivel, two long ones on the butt plate and now I have two long ones left and three holes to fill. Also, the heads on the screws aren't as big as I'd like them to be. They don't pass through the holes on the Saiga, but it's a little closer than I'd like.

Whoops, sorry, forgot to mention I got the unfinished set. The swivel and buttplate did not come preinstalled. I used the two short screws on the swivel, two long ones on the butt plate and now I have two long ones left and three holes to fill. Also, the heads on the screws aren't as big as I'd like them to be. They don't pass through the holes on the Saiga, but it's a little closer than I'd like.

See my edit, it just beat your reply by two minutes.
  • 2 weeks later...