@*$% x2... Barrel Shroud Issues.

1. Good lord, I tried my best to go slow, used both a pipe cutter and a dremmel. The shroud didnt budge, so i went deeper... still didnt budge, so I went deeper..

Finally it came off.. but

heres what I ended up with...

156505_746156130382_41103897_40551566_3390369_n.jpg

I know it looks like hell, but is it safe to shoot? Nothing is ever easy for me, it seems like I am able to make everything I try to do 10x harder than it should be.

2. Assuming that this is safe to shoot, looks like I need a thread die.. Anyone know of a place to rent one for less than 40 bucks? Im thinking Im going to have to do some jb welding to fill in the gaps..

Hope I can turn this around.. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

If i wanted to take a hacksaw and cut off that part of the barrel my self, would there be an issues? I would be loosing about 3/4" of barrel, would that effect anything like gas or accuracy? I saw this link http://www.castbullet.com/misc/hack.htm and it looks fairly easy to do, but I dont really know if it is an OK way to do it.

Thanks

As previously posted, cut your losses. If you cut the barrel, then it needs re-crowned. Then you'd have to move the front sight back. It can be done, with the correct tools.

Then, unless you plan to SBR this, you need to keep the OAL of the barrel at 16+ inches. That is why you would have to permanently attach the muzzle device of your choice.

Again, unless you have these tools, and can do it correctly, I'd say take it to the gunsmith.

I screwed up a barrel, once ... just bit the bullet and paid a gun smith to cut and re-crown it. Basic DIY is okay for most jobs, but recrowning a barrel with the proper tools is a must for a rifle which you care about.

Here's a video about professional recrowning, if you feel that you can do a good 0-degree, 11-degree, and finish with a 45-degree chamfer cut with a dremmel, go for it... otherwise, pay up :)

I did a a lot of research, before deciding to take mine to the smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpzv1Spsnk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by vbrtrmn

I screwed up a barrel, once ... just bit the bullet and paid a gun smith to cut and re-crown it. Basic DIY is okay for most jobs, but recrowning a barrel with the proper tools is a must for a rifle which you care about.

Here's a video about professional recrowning, if you feel that you can do a good 0-degree, 11-degree, and finish with a 45-degree chamfer cut with a dremmel, go for it... otherwise, pay up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpzv1Spsnk&feature=player_embedded

Yeah, I think that is what I am going to have to do... talked to a local guy that will cut the barrel and weld my flash hider in place. He wants between 75 and 125 $ to do it.. sounds like a fair price i guess.

Can I just use the threaded flash hider for the one to be welded in? Or is there a smooth one that I should use instead? This is the one I have http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-534/DPH-AK47-SAIGA-FLASH/Detail

EDIT: NM. Post retracted. I misunderstood the question at fist.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

If i wanted to take a hacksaw and cut off that part of the barrel my self, would there be an issues? I would be loosing about 3/4" of barrel, would that effect anything like gas or accuracy? I saw this link http://www.castbullet.com/misc/hack.htm and it looks fairly easy to do, but I dont really know if it is an OK way to do it.

Thanks

Taking a hacksaw it might not be necessary. Although it's tough to tell by your photo, you may not have cut too deep into the barrel. It looks like there's a lot of barrel thickness left. A number of people have cut into the barrel to some degree while trying to remove the muzzle shroud. I did; take a look at the first picture in this post... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=60391. In this case, the cut was not noticeable after threading the barrel, and did not effect how the rifle functions. However, safety comes first... proceed at your own risk. I'd second the idea of bringing it into a qualified gunsmith, if you have any doubts.

Edited by modrisco

A gunsmith would do a combination of both, aekdbbop. He would likely cut the barrel to X" length, then thread the end of it, screw on the muzzle device, then weld/solder it on and the total length would bring the barrel to over 16".

Thats what I am thinking.. it doesnt look so bad with the shroud painted, but I want it to be right.

155716_746253600052_41103897_40553734_6920899_n.jpg

76752_746253669912_41103897_40553735_3022424_n.jpg

The kit is a major ouch unless you will be doing a lot of re-crowning at about $295+ for the kit with 2 pilots, deburring/chamfering cutter tool is extra. Might be a good thing to have though but going to take some major thought first.

Edited by Rhodes1968