Which mags are better for the 223 saiga the galil .223 or the E.German AK74 5,45??  What are the tips to making them work in the saiga is one easier than the other?

UKP

I haven't done the conversion yet so I can't say, but most people seem to use the Weiger .223 mags made for the SAR-3. You can also use 5.45 mags and put a .223 follower in them, but I don't know if they need feedlip work or not. Do a search in this forum, there are a few good posts about it.

The Weigers are the most solid of any of of the 223 mags. I like the Romanian polymer AK-74 mags because of the price they are. You don't need a 223 follower, you will have to remove a little material from the inside of the mag to let the follower come up a little more, like 1/16" - 1/8" or so.

I haven't tried the Galil mags since the 74 mags have wroked so well for me.

They all will require a feedlip on the mag or a bullet guide in the rifle as well as filing to get them to fit the magwell.

The galil work very well. I used JB weld on the lips on the mags and on the catch. When you file off the extra JB be very carefull and the mag will be tight. it takes some finess but it works well. By doing the mags it also allows for the use of the original mag for hunting.

The galil mags are $9.95 and you do not need to buy any new parts since they are 5.56 already. the 5.45 mags need to be modified and a new bullet guide added that costs an additional $4-$5. Galil are cheaper. The black also matches the original coloring of the rifel better.