ACE folding stock users...

help!

My #2 Saiga came back from Jnewt wearing an ACE folder on a "cut the tang" mounting block. It is set up to fold to the right, like the Romy folder on my AK-74. The stock is very difficult to unlock from the extended position. In fact, I can't put enough downward force on the block to compress the spring; I have to insert an instrument into the hinge gap and use it as a prybar to do so. Once that's done, however, it folds and unfolds easily.

Is this normal, or is there a "trick" of some sort that I'm missing? Does operation get easier with repeated use? Any advice is appreciated.

Thx.

I'm assuming that when the stock locks in the open postion it moves up, correct? if so, it sounds like the tang / rear trunion was not cut enough and/or smoothed out after the cut. FYI - Mine stuck at first... but nothing like you are describing.

If the the above scenario describes what is happenning on your shotgun, simply file the rear trunion tang area down a little at a time and you'll find the sweet spot where the stock will not stick once it locks in the open position. Then polish sand the bare trunion steel with 120, then 300+ grit sand paper to ensure smooth/tight fit.

If you don't want to file on the rear trunion, you can try some good grease or dry teflon lube. But keep in mind that even if you 'grease' it, the aluminum stock may still want to stick/gall agains the steel trunion as the lube wears out..

Edited by RDSWriter
I'm assuming that when the stock locks in the open postion it moves up, correct?

Correct.

if so, it sounds like the tang / rear trunion was not cut enough and/or smoothed out after the cut.

I don't see what you mean. There is NO tang left; it was cut off flush with the back of the receiver when the adapter was installed. Pics below.

stock1.jpg

stock2.jpg

stock3.jpg

There had to be some part of the rear trunion left in order to keep the recoil guide and spring from flying out the back of the gun when the stock is folded. This piece (and maybe the sheetmetal receiver itself) is binding on the stock as it attempts to go up and lock in position.

When I filed my trunion I took it straight across and left slightly more than 1/16th of an inch of the trunion behind the top cover locking channel from sheetmetal side to sheetmetal side. Additionally I took off a hair of the sheetmetal part of the receiver to make sure that the adapter was not recessed.

am betting that this metal behind the top cover channel (and maybe some sheetmetal) is what is binding on the stock when it tries to lock/unlock.

From the pics, you may be binding on the bottom part of the receiver channel too. The easiest way to ID where your binding is to look at the rear of the stock hinge and receiver when it is open/folded... look for bare metal or wear marks. This will ID where you are getting the most metal to metal contact.

Edited by RDSWriter

It is normal, and after folding and unfolding it several times it gets easier. Mine folds to the left, and I had to use my Truck tailgate to push it on to make it fold the first 2 times I went out. It was easy when I first put it on, but shooting made it tighten up a lot. Just keep working it and it will get easier. Mine is now perfect.

I would also look into getting a pad for the upper tube. If you have shot it already, you will know what I mean by feeling like you got puched several times.

IJ

It is normal, and after folding and unfolding it several times it gets easier. Mine folds to the left, and I had to use my Truck tailgate to push it on to make it fold the first 2 times I went out.

As a test, I removed the stock and hinge from the mounting block. The hinge is still impossible to open by hand. So if there's something binding, it's not on the gun.

With the hinge dismounted, I can see some silver where edges are starting to round over. Hopefully the mating surfaces will continue to wear in with use, and operation will get easier.

On the up-side, this thing is rock solid when extended, and I don't need to close it to fit the gun in my cases. :rolleyes:

Edited by shooter2

I had the same problem with mine.

The majority of the binding was fixed by making sure the back of the receiver was perfectly flush with the aluminum trunnion (made so by filing back of the receiver. From your picture, it looks like the new trunnion is set back a bit.

Also worked it open and closed about a 100 times, but I still find pressing on the top of the pivot pin only opens it the easiest.

Good luck with it.

As a test, I removed the stock and hinge from the mounting block. The hinge is still impossible to open by hand. So if there's something binding, it's not on the gun.

The problem with only removing the stock and hinge is that you have no leverage on the spring loaded hinge... same thing happens when I try to open the stock with the stock and hinge removed from the firearm. However, if this is happenning when the parts are attached to your shotgun and you can't get leverage to open the stock, there is something else that is binding... the spring and locking mech aren't THAT tight.

Edited by RDSWriter

I'd have to say it's just due to the new fit and the right fold set up. I don't have an ACE, but I've done two Galil folding stock conversions. The first used an ACE "cut the dang tang" receiver block, the second used a receiver block knock off that I machined. I dont think ithas anything to do with the block at all. Both of my Galil stocks were very tight after I took them apart and abrasive blasted them for the refinish (all grit removed). After I greased the pin and spring for final assembly it opens and closes like butter. The Galil is also better suited for RH fold, from the picture it looks like you have to pull up on the stock to unlock? I'd say lube it up and work it several times, maybe change it to LH fold for a while and see if it's any easier. Also make sure your grasping it close to the hinge not the center of the stock. Just my 2c

Is it dragging on the bottom of the receiver?

I'm still waiting on my ACE stock so I don't have one in front of me to look at.

But in the pic below it seems that the stock isn't seated in the block all the way.

Like I sad I don't have a stock to compare it to.

If so it could be binding on the bottom rear of the receiver.

Just my two cents.

I hope this helps.

stock2.jpg

Also is it just me or is the folding hinge out of square with the rear of the receiver? In the pic below the gap looks closer on the right side of the receiver than it does on the left.

Is the receiver out of square? Is the tang pushing on the folding part of the stock or is it just the angle of the pic?

Is there any kind of witness marks on the folding part of the stock to show if it is dragging on something?

stock1.jpg

Edited by Tiny

How exactly is this Ace "Cut the dang tang" receiver block attached?

From the name I assume that you cut the tangs, (or tang?), off of the original rear trunnion. (Poor choice of name there, IMHO).

Is there any other drilling or cuttiing or tapping required? I went to the Ace website, but they do not provide much of an explanation there.

What are the advantages? It looks shorter than the old style adapter that I have seen pics of. Is that the only advantage?

What are the disadvantages?

This thread hi-jack is now over, you may return to your originally scheduled programming. :zorro:

Nice tight fitting block (aluminum). Top screw is in rear trunion where inner stock screw goes, bottom is actually the T nut for the pistol grip. You should be able to get an idea from these pics. The top 2 are of a knock off that I made from steel to weld my Galil front knuckle to, the last is an ACE unit w/ a 5deg steel plate that I made (to receive the weld) on my 1st Galil stock conversion. It makes for a good platform for mounting these style stocks, unfortunately true Galil stocks require an additional 5 degrees of angle to index properly.

post-1866-1117506211_thumb.jpg

post-1866-1117506360_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm