A tale of two Saigas (lots o' pics)

Homebrew vs. JNewt, round 1!!

two_saigas.jpg

My two Saiga-12s. Homebrew conversion on top (my house gun), JNewt conversion on the bottom.

STATS

Homebrew:

* 2001 vintage, 19" fixed cylinder-bore barrel, pistol-style sights, no BHO

* FSE trigger group

* ACE Galil pistol grip

* FSE fixed "Krinkov" style stock with Bulgarian buttpad

JNewt:

* 2000 vintage, 19" barrel with screw chokes (Cyl. installed), pistol-style rear sight with clamp-on AK-type front tower, factory BHO

* Tapco G2 trigger group

* ACE Galil pistol grip

* ACE sidefolding stock with buttpad

THE MATCHUP

Parts:

Homebrew's FSE trigger has about 1/2" of takeup and a bit of a mushy break, while JNewt's Tapco trigger has ZERO takeup, and breaks very cleanly. Stocks are equally comfortable, but Homebrew's is fixed while JNewt's is a folder. Homebrew uses a modified sporter triggerguard and selector stop and a wire pin retainer (aka "shepherd's crook"); JNewt uses a modified AKM triggerguard/selector stop and a Red Star retaining plate. Advantage JNewt

Sights:

Homebrew has a large front post and a wide rear notch; very easy for my lousy eyes to pick up quickly. JNewt has a much longer sight radius and a narrower rear notch; it should theoretically be more accurate with slugs, but the sight arrangement is slower to use. Advantage Neither

Conversion:

Homebrew features button-head screws filling the leftover pin/rivet holes; JNewt's holes have been completely welded over. Advantage JNewt

Finish:

Homebrew retains most of the factory finish; the "scars" on the bottom from the conversion process were covered by black spraypaint. JNewt was beadblasted and entirely refinished in Gunkote after conversion, and the markings were highlighted in silver. Advantage JNewt

Price:

Homebrew = cost of conversion parts and stock, plus $20 to buy dinner for my buddy the machinist.

JNewt = cost of stock, plus shipping to OK, plus $200 for labor and conversion parts

Advantage Homebrew

ROUND 1 RESULTS

Homebrew = 1

JNewt = 3

Draw = 1

The JNewt conversion wins round one!

Round two - SHOOTOFF! Stay tuned!!

Edited by shooter2
You're probably gonna find when you shoot the homebrew that the clamp on light will slide around.  I had a hell of a time with a barrel clamp for my light prompting me to install a rail system.

I've shot the Homebrew in the configuration shown. Neither the light nor the mount has shifted.

What kind of pistol sight did jnewt use on the rear? 

The rear sight is the standard pistol-style Saiga rear, not a sight off of a pistol... I believe the Russians refer to it as the "M4"; they can be found on Ebay et al. from time to time, or from Rusmilitary.com. It's the one that matches up with the bolt-on front sight tower.

• 2 months later...
Why do you think there was a trigger difference?

Was it a matter of installation, or the parts quality?

(ie. Difference in quality btw FSE and Tapco?)

I'm guessing the latter. The G2 trigger packs - both the new ones from Tapco and the older ones from Gordon Technologies - have always been excellent, IME. I used the FSE parts in my conversion because they were inexpensive and readily available at the time, where the G2s were not.

I've made some changes to the #2 gun since having it out for its initial range session. First and foremost, I ditched the ACE folder in favor of their "pig nose" adapter and a 6-position AR stock. MUCH more comfortable. Also added an OKO red dot sight on a Belarus mount, and got my hands on a big-boy mag. :wub:

saiga_bigmag.jpg

Was that the OKO from your M4 carbine?

Is it with the 4 MOA dot or the 8 MOA dot?

How does it work on there?

Bonus points for paying attention in class! :devil: Actually, that OKO came off my 9mm AR. The one from my M4 went onto my M-11/9 SMG.

4 MOA dot.

Fit was an issue; the spacing of the slots on the Belarus mount didn't match up with the spacing of the crossmembers on the sight's roll cage mount. Had a choice between dremeling the Belarus mount or running the sight without the roll cage. Did the latter; that also dropped the sight down another 1/2" or so (a good thing in this application). I've not had the gun out to shoot since putting the mount on there; that will happen this weekend.

Tapco FCG for me. You are running double hooks on both of your conversions, correct?

Nope, single hooks in both.