Easy mod to make BP-02 co-witness

I have just joined, but I have been gleaning info here on Saigas for a while now. For the first time I feel I actually have something to add.

I bought a Kalinka BP-02 mount a year or so ago to mount on my Arsenal SGL-20. Upon receiving it it was tilted upward to the point that sighting in was frustrating. I contacted Kalinka and Andrew told me to shim the rail with some washers and complained about the QC coming out of the factory. So I shimmed the rail, bought a Primary Arms M3 and played with it a bit. I didn't like the fact that the optic set up so high and was off center, so I tossed the whole thing in a box and just used irons. Fast forward to two weeks ago. I was playing with the M3 and its ring and realized that the v-clamp lined up with the optic nicely if I could remove the "gooseneck" part of the BP-02 and replace it with a single flat plate.

Now, forgive the crudeness (all I have is a cut-off wheel on a table saw and a hand drill) but this is a 1/4 inch aluminum plate I made to replace the gooseneck.

cowitnessakmount002-1.jpg

I was able to use the V-clamp and the rail from the BP-02

cowitnessakmount004.jpg

Mounted on rifle. Note that rail and ring are sideways but optic is positioned normally.

cowitnessakmount017.jpg

Another view.

cowitnessakmount014.jpg

It's not perfectly in the centerline, but it is close. A lower ring or a machined step would make it line up perfectly. It can even (barely) co-witness on the 100 meter setting. It also allows removal of dust cover and Bolt carrier without removing optics.

cowitnessakmount013-1.jpg

What do you think? This has to have been thought of already, right? If not, someone should make this an inexpensive retrofit kit for BP-02s.

Edited by treasurediver

Welcome aboard,

I have an original Kalinka BP-02 and without any alterations it is 1" higher then the receiver and centered perfectly over the receiver. So why you had to alter yours dumbfounds me.... I have seen others and they seem to be a perfect fit as well... Now I know that they also make a high mount as well and is about 4" higher then the receiver but it was a choice that they wanted.....

Welcome aboard,

I have an original Kalinka BP-02 and without any alterations it is 1" higher then the receiver and centered perfectly over the receiver. So why you had to alter yours dumbfounds me.... I have seen others and they seem to be a perfect fit as well... Now I know that they also make a high mount as well and is about 4" higher then the receiver but it was a choice that they wanted.....

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. 308saiga, I wasn't trying to line up the mount to the centerline, my intention was to drop it to allow co-witnessing. The offset from centerline didn't bother me (much), it was the height that sucked.

I like it, with a QD mount this short, the only "ill effect" I can see is having to remember that windage=elevation, and vice versa...

ETA: Oh wait, now with the new pics I see that you have a ring mount. I was thinking fixed base, like an Aimpoint micro or PA micro...oops!

Great innovative Saiga solution!

:super:

Edited by bohound