Will BHO and Retainer Plate work together?

I plan on ordering the 5.45 conversion kit from CSS http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-712/SAIGA-RIFLE-TRIGGER-GROUP/Detail

In the video they use some type of retaining spring in place of the plate so I was wondering if the BHO and retainer plate will both fit without any modifications? The guy also mentions maybe having to modify the safety to make it fit, but i didnt really understand what he meant..

Thanks in advance :smoke:

It's a shepherd's crook.. it's what's been traditionally used to hold the FCG in place. The retainer plate and crook are about the same thickness.. so either will work just fine with the BHO. Neither of them really causes any displacement in the FCG. You'll notice that the pins only go in so far and stop.. that's where they are supposed to be. The retainers just keep them from sliding back out.

The standard safety has a tab that will make contact with the BHO when you rotate it upward fully in order to remove it. I use Krebs safeties in all of mine, and can manage to work mine out of there.. but it's still a pain in the ass.

Since you're planning to use the retainer plate.. the safety has to be removed first in order to remove the rest of the FCG. The safety is what fits through the solid hole and holds everything in place with the plate. It is a more convenient method of securing everything.. but the BHO can cause this setup to be a pain in the ass. You will probably want to mod yours to avoid these issues.

You will also need a modified hammer that leaves room for your BHO when you drop in your new trigger group. Standard ak triggers are meant to contact each side of the receiver for the most part... with no BHO to the side. In order to use it, enough of the area on that side needs to be trimmed so that it can fit inside your receiver with the BHO in there as well. You can buy them already modified, or do it yourself with a dremmel and cutting wheel if you're careful.

Edited by danklab
  • Like 1

Yeah.. that's exactly what you're looking for, unless you plan to do it yourself. You can buy the same FCG and do the mod yourself for about $20 cheaper. But if you're not comfortable making a perfectly straight cut through the leg of the hammer, then you might want get the moded one.

• 2 weeks later...

I kept BHO and got Krebs retainer for my recent 5.45 conversion, and it works awesome.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=61422&st=0&p=586279&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=586279

BHO spring was tough to put back, but worth once done.

Good luck, have fun!