I know there is alot of things on here about conversions, my problem is that so many people think of so many different things as being a conversion. I have a Saiga 12 and just got a .223. I like the weapons the way they are other then furniture, so I dont see a reason to make them an "Ak-47". I do however want to make them the most reliable, dependable I can. Yeah you know for the Zombies :drevil: lol

Thank you so much for your help! Matt

Are you asking a question? If you are asking many here why they would convert, I would say it is because of the trigger, these are not the best in the original configuration of these weapons, but in order to do so you need to convert it to the AK style weapon...... I was ecstatic with mine, I replaced my trigger group with an adjustable 2 stage trigger group and can not be happier with the results.....

• Like 1

So is the "trigger" the week point on these? If so who and what is the best to go for, and why would I want to move it forward, and does moving it forward limit stock selections? I'm just looking to make this the most dependable, rugged, weapon I can. Also in general what else and why would I wnt to upgrade/convert? Thank you for your help.

So is the "trigger" the week point on these?

No, it's the month point :rolleyes:

It's one of the weak points of the platform. There are others, like magazine insertion - rock and lock insertion in a stock S12 on a closed bolt is a bitch.

If so who and what is the best to go for, and why would I want to move it forward, and does moving it forward limit stock selections? I'm just looking to make this the most dependable, rugged, weapon I can. Also in general what else and why would I wnt to upgrade/convert? Thank you for your help.

Moving the FCG to where it's supposed to be provides a whole host of advantages. Firstly, the ergonomics of the weapon are restored to what was intended - the ridiculous monte carlo stock setup makes the weapons pretty uncomfortable for a lot of folks, myself included - reaching with your left hand around the magazine, especially with a drum, sucks. You have many more furniture options with the FCG in the correct, forward location - most AK stocks can be fitted to the weapon, and almost any AK pistol grip works perfectly. With the stock configuration, you're stuck with a handful of stocks; five that I know of - the plastic and wood monte carlo furniture, a couple of dragunov/thumbhole style stocks, and Tapco's intrafuse setup.

If you are looking to make the weapon more rugged and dependable, you will want to replace the gas puck and plug (or piston and regulator, pick your parlance) with aftermarket stuff - I recommend MD Arms for the replacement regulator. You will want to polish certain parts of the bolt carrier, rails, and FCG - there are guides somewhere on the forum, the search box is very helpful. Depending on how many gas holes you have, and how large they are, you may also want to tune the gas system (adding or enlarging holes if undergassed), but a decent regulator can overcome any but the worst of issues - if there aren't any gas holes in the barrel, you're probably out of luck.

Otherwise, for reliability, you can't beat the factory (2, 5, and 8-round) magazines, or the MD Arms 20-round drum. SGM magazines work very well in my guns, and the AGP mags work well in everything but my SBS, although some folks have had issues with the springs - rust, breakage, etc. I'd stay away from promag.

• Like 1

So is the "trigger" the week point on these? If so who and what is the best to go for, and why would I want to move it forward, and does moving it forward limit stock selections? I'm just looking to make this the most dependable, rugged, weapon I can. Also in general what else and why would I wnt to upgrade/convert? Thank you for your help.

I would say yes the trigger is the week point, if they made a trigger for the hunting style weapon maybe many would not convert it....

The best trigger, depends on the cash if you have it to burn I would go with the one I have from Red Star Arms, this is fully adjustable and you can have it break at 1 lbs, don;t get me wrong there are cheaper ones and just as good out there that are non adjustable..... Carolina Shooting supplies sells the G2 modified and or non-modified and other I think....

The only way you can change the trigger out is to move it forward, which is the actual conversion, they do not make a USA trigger for the hunting style of these weapons...

Well once/if you change out the trigger it is no longer in it's original imported configuration so the Federal law of 922r compliance comes into play, which means you have to replace 4 out of 14 parts, by changing out the trigger group (TG) you have added 3 USA parts leaving you only 1 part needed to change out, it you replace the Mag with a USA mag you would be GTG, you can leave the original stock/handguard and any other imported parts on the rifle, you will just have to as a PG to it....

• Like 1

So I need to take care of the trigger on both the 12 and .223, piston and regulator on the 12 and polish bolt carrier, rails, and FCG on both or just the 12? (what about doing a NP3 plating http://robarguns.com/np3%20plus.html) get U.S. made mags for compliance. What else is avaiable for my .223? Thank you all for taking your time to help me fiqure this all out!

Edited by kyblaster

Study these videos. A few weeks ago I didn't know jack shit about conversions let alone saigas, but after reading through these forums and watching these videos about a hundred times I feel like an expert. I'll be doing the conversion monday night after I pick up my 5.45 from the store. Search these forums, the answers are all here. Watch the videos. Peace.:smoke:

Edited by nattyiceking
  • Like 1

Some one needs to make the post from "nattyiceking" with the convesion videos Something permanate for newbeis to see, I've asked soo many questions about the conversions and this single one showed me everything and answered everthng!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Nattyiceking!!!!! :lolol: