Damn, I'm going "Plum Crazy"

I think rangemasters grip is made by md arms. I have a ronin grip (plum colored) on its way from a sale on the akforum.

Unless he changed grips, its definitely a Ronin. Keep me informed about how well his plum matches the rest of your furniture. Back when it was on my rifle.

4789568794_4b7a0555fd_z.jpg

What a great surprise! was yours plum or black?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha ha, I called it. Now we start the countdown for you to sell the rifle. ;-)   Good choice on the plum by the way.

Based on a re-evaluation (and boredom) I'm going with K-Var PLum Warsaw stock set, and AK74 FSB on my 7.62x39 Saiga. SInce I now live in town now, I have switched to using my Remington 870 20" deer s

Good choice Rangemaster. You wont be disappointed. I wasnt! The plum looks great. I cant stop looking at it while im around her.    

Posted Images

I think rangemasters grip is made by md arms. I have a ronin grip (plum colored) on its way from a sale on the akforum.

Unless he changed grips, its definitely a Ronin. Keep me informed about how well his plum matches the rest of your furniture. Back when it was on my rifle.

4789568794_4b7a0555fd_z.jpg

Greg, Where did you get the extra long sling? Is it an RPK sling?

What a great surprise! was yours plum or black?

That one is black. I got it from him during his original clearance sale. It was one of his earlier run models. Its made from the same materials just was unmarked.

Greg, Where did you get the extra long sling? Is it an RPK sling?

That is a Russian Navy blue black sling. You can find them for 20 - 30$ on traders usually. If the plum sling matches better, I plan to switch that one to the S12 I am planning to get in the next few months.

Most of my parts have arrived, but I have kids and grandkids visiting all this week, so it won't happen until next week end. I have:

K-Var plum, AK74 FSB (yes Blackthorne), CSS bolt-on lower handguard retainer , bolt-on trigger guard (I want to use a RAM2000 speed catch and the re-used factory trigger guard interferes with it a little). Also have a Bulgarian circle 10 neoprene handled bayonet that I got new in wrap from Northridge for $30.

I am still waiting on CNC Warrior AK74 brake and cleaning rod.

Someone (Chevyman?) did a thread awhile back about using a threaded rod through the bore (with nuts and washers on each end) to act as a press to press the FSB on. I picked up a 36"x1/4" threaded rod to try that method.

• Like 2

Here it is! K-Var Plum furniture (Warsaw length), rounded bolt on trigger guard, and two piece bolt on retainer - all from Greg at CSS. Add a Blackthorne 24mm FSB (Oh, be quiet, I like it!), CNC Warrior's AK 74 24mm Brake for 7.62x39, Chinese vented gas tube, and new in wrap Bulgarian neoprene handled circle 10 bayonet and sheath ($30) from Northridge Int. I have a 16" cleaning rod coming.

BTW, for the price, you can't beat CNC Warriors brake! The two piece retainer form Greg at CSS is a bargain at less than $30!

post-14200-0-42612500-1295210015_thumb.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 2

Here it is! K-Var Plum furniture (Warsaw length), rounded bolt on trigger guard, and two piece bolt on retainer - all from Greg at CSS. Add a Blackthorne 24mm FSB (Oh, be quiet, I like it!), CNC Warrior's AK 74 24mm Brake for 7.62x39, Chinese vented gas tube, and new in wrap Bulgarian neoprene handled circle 10 bayonet and sheath ($30) from Northridge Int. I have a 16" cleaning rod coming.

BTW, for the price, you can't beat CNC Warriors brake! The two piece retainer form Greg at CSS is a bargain at less than $30!

Must... Sex!!

• Like 1

Thanks!, I love the plum, too. I had plum before on a .223 Saiga, but sold it. because AKs should be 7.62x39 and Armalites should be .223! I have missed the plum. When I first did this restoration in the fall, I did it on the cheap since I was unemployed. Now that I am back to work, I wanted to finish it with the plum and AK74 FSB/Brake

• Like 1

Lookin good bro! Welcome back to the bad-ass rifle club// :super:

The thread rod worked great, even though I had 3 brass washers between muzzle and wrench, the FSB still went slightly the direction of the rotation. I got it straight, though using the square. The original FSB was dead square, but the drum was right about 1/32" off center because the rear sight is 1/32" to the right. I compensated when I did the fsb so the drum should be centered.

Good to hear. Sounds like a real good way for the DIY'er to get one installed easily.

Any worries of dinging up the chrome barrel lining?

No, but just in case I put a layer of black electrical tape on the rod at muzzle end. The rod method is way better than beating it on! Who came up with the rod I dea? It was someone on this board a year or 18 months ago.

Good to hear. Sounds like a real good way for the DIY'er to get one installed easily.

Any worries of dinging up the chrome barrel lining?

No, but just in case I put a layer of black electrical tape on the rod at muzzle end. The rod method is way better than beating it on! Who came up with the rod I dea? It was someone on this board a year or 18 months ago.

Yep, thats what i was thinking too but more like covering the whole rod and breach and muzzle ends. I've got an abundance of electrical tape and a couple Bulgy FSB, '74 brakes that are waiting to be installed. Good stuff and thanks for mentioning the idea.

Did you ever get that plum sling?..>Gregm

Sorry forgot to reply. I was super sick last week. I got the sling. It is a much lighter color than my russian plum. ill take a pic in the sun of the sling next to a plum circle 10 mag. I think I am going to try to dye it a darker color. However, the sling is of good construction. Another downer is the spring clip is black and the buckle is silver. I can probably get a different one for it.

Is this the method you guys are talking about? http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43415&st=0&p=394733&hl=front&fromsearch=1entry394733

Yep, that's the method. It was Bobba Debt that came up with it.

I used an acorn nut forced on the at the breech end, and a brass washer between the nut and the breech face. I used a little electrical tape at the muzzle end to protect the threads, and three brass washer at the muzzle end with a standard nut. All I had to use was a box end wrench on each end. The one at the breech end keeps the rod from turning, and the muzzle one presses the FSB on as you turn it. I spent $5 at the hardware store to make it. It works great. The rod does not turn in the bore, so you won't be scratching up the bore. There is no real stress to bend a barrel like a press if it is not lined up. The last 1/4 inch was very tight, and I gave the FSB a whack with hammer hitting an oak block on the front face of the FSB to get it the rest of the way.

It kept the FSB fairly well straight, but I had to adjust it at the end by about 1/16".

I used an acorn nut forced on the at the breech end, and a brass washer between the nut and the breech face. I used a little electrical tape at the muzzle end to protect the threads, and three brass washer at the muzzle end with a standard nut. All I had to use was a box end wrench on each end. The one at the breech end keeps the rod from turning, and the muzzle one presses the FSB on as you turn it. I spent $5 at the hardware store to make it. It works great. The rod does not turn in the bore, so you won't be scratching up the bore. There is no real stress to bend a barrel like a press if it is not lined up. The last 1/4 inch was very tight, and I gave the FSB a whack with hammer hitting an oak block on the front face of the FSB to get it the rest of the way.

It kept the FSB fairly well straight, but I had to adjust it at the end by about 1/16".

I might try this method as opposed to my original plan to sex the GB and FSB into their respective places.

I might try this method as opposed to my original plan to sex the GB and FSB into their respective places.

This sounds like something I could do, and not worry about messing it up :lolol:

This sounds like something I could do, and not worry about messing it up :lolol:

See! That what my thinking :lolol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the finished product: Bulgarian AK74 cleaning rod ($10 and works perfect with the Saiga cleaning tools) and an Izmash bakelite magazine. It looks so cool, I may ditch the steel mil-surps and switch to bakelites. How's that Val? Did you get your bakelite????

Saiga5-1.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

Here is the finished product: Bulgarian AK74 cleaning rod ($10 and works perfect with the Saiga cleaning tools) and an Izmash bakelite magazine. It looks so cool, I may ditch the steel mil-surps and switch to bakelites. How's that Val? Did you get your bakelite????

PlumSaiga5-1.jpg

Nice :super: Where did you get the Bakelite's rangemaster? Nice tip for the AK-74 cleaning rod!!