29 members have voted

1. 1. Which saiga should i buy?

• Saiga 5.56
    • Saiga 5.45
    • Saiga 7.62x39
    • Saiga .308
    • Somthing else

I recently bought a Saiga 12 and converted it, and I love it, so I am now looking at another Saiga, the 5.56 has my eye because of easy ability to acquire ammo but, I want something that has a high capacity, and can stop a man. The other Saiga's are nice, but I have not seen 5.45 at the gun shops here or 7.62x39. I will as well be stockpiling ammo just incase. The Saiga 12 can take anything out to 100 yards with slugs, now I want something that is reliable and can fill the blank of past 100 yards. I want the gun for fun and for a SHTF, live in (Hurricane)Florida, money is no issue, I have tried Ar's, don't like, parts maybe easy to find, but things can go wrong with it, if not kept very clean. So a little help would be nice on helping me decide. (this may have already been posted but, I could not find my answer) Thanks in advance!

I am getting a Saiga 5.45, given that surplus 7N6 ammunition is most likely the cheapest centerfire round one can find. Sure, it is corrosive, but as long as you properly clean the gun after shooting, it, you shouldn't have any problems.

If 7.62x39. For SHTF you can carry more ammo on your person than .308. Is accurate enough for plinking and SHTF. Plenty of HiCap mag options. It is a great time to load up on ammo if money is no issue.

The next 3 if you like to shoot past 250yds.

Next I'd say 5.45 for cheap ammo reasons--if you load up though.

.223 If you like ammo variety and don't plan to load up on ammo so much.

.308 If stopping power is #1, and ammo weight is not so much of an issue.

Above is my take on Saiga's and SHTF. Other people will differ based on their circumstances. SHTF in a city is different than if SHTF in the country. SHTF if you have to walk or travel is different than if SHTF and you will hold up at home or somewhere safe.

I presume no one makes 5.45 that is non corrosive? If not that narrows it down, which will be more accurate, The 5.56 or the 7.62x39? I saw that surefire makes a 100 rd drum mag for the 5.56, i did not find any 100 rd mags for the 7.62.

There is plenty of non-corrosive 5.45. But the corrosive 7N6 surplus is cheap, accurate, potent, and reliable. In my mind, there is little reason for a 5.45 rifle if one does not use the inexpensive surplus.

The 5.56 will tend to be more accurate than the 7.62x39.

Edited by Jim Digriz

7.62x39 or 5.45x39

because those are the classic calibers. 5.45 has the advantage of being cheaper and flatter shooting, the 7.62 has the advantage of more loadings and being more traditional and usable for medium game.

Edited by TARE

now I want something that is reliable and can fill the blank of past 100 yards.

Given your criteria, you should consider the 308. Any of these calibers can kill a BG out past 100 yards, but the 308 will do it more reliably, and through more cover.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 2