Dressed up my SGL

I got bored this morning so I decided to start refinishing a few rifles. So far I have my SGL21 finished up and my PSL will be done sometime this weekend. I just used some scarlet Rit dye diluted with alcohol for the stain and finished it up with some semi gloss polyurethane. Looks pretty good to me! :D

post-24638-0-25186900-1294519856_thumb.jpg

post-24638-0-83470000-1294519875_thumb.jpg

I might try to add some wine Rit to the mixture for the PSL and see where that gets me or maybe do a two tone camo style pattern if I'm feeling adventurous lol. I'll throw up pictures of it also when I get it finished.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Yeah, I was thinking of a dark red when I was looking at dyes. I did my PSL in scarlet red and went over that in spots with wine which makes a very dark violet/red color. The camoing didn't come out as well as I had hoped this time but it's satisfactory for what I wanted. I may try again sometime with another cheap stock set in a different pattern but it looks good enough for me being on an old PSL with the stock furniture. The hardest part was steaming out all the major dents that were salvageable with the old shellac embedded into the wood.

Gives it character :lol:

post-24638-0-18144300-1294672639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Echomaker
  • Like 1

I should, do you know anywhere that has them for a reasonable price within the database of all things for sale AK related? Last time I even saw bakelite 39 mags was when that russian officer made walkways and paved his alley with them.. :lol:

Edited by Echomaker

For mine I mixed up 1/2 cup of alcohol with 1/8 cup of scarlet RIT dye and more or less dye makes for different tones of red, then I put a few coats of polyurethane over it for protection and buffed it to a semi gloss finish. I've tried stains in the past and they've never gotten the red I was looking for. This made for a good color on the stocks and I bought enough dye and alcohol to stain an armory's worth of rifles for like $5 at Wally World. :lol: