Reloading worth the savings?

So I have owned shotguns in the past, but this is the first one Ive owned where I plan to really shoot a shitload of shells through it. That being said, is this a gun that would be worth my time to get a reloader for? I have found a 12g loader available called the LEE LOAD-ALL II. It seems it can be had for about $50 or less and it actually has some really good reviews, and it comes with a life time warranty. That seems like a pretty good deal. So the question is, how much do you really save by reloading your own shells? Is there a really good thread that discusses that here that someone might direct me to? It seems my searches havent really produced very much :(.

Edited by Torqued

I reload for everything that i shoot and when it comes to cost it is cheaper to reload depending on where you can get supplies.

Just like everything else out there you have a wide assortment of prices for materials and that is where it comes down to being cheaper or not if you go buy everything you need from the most convient place it may not be cheaper than the bulk packs at walmart if you are willing to work at it then you can be rewarded greatly.

if you factor in your time it takes to load them and that is the way you are going to look at it i wouldn't bother

in my opinion you shouldn't reload anything unless you want to do it not just to save money

the lee load all are decent little setups they don't have a crimp adjustment you control that by the pressure you push down and don't hold much shot or powder and are a little difficult to change shot and powders if switching from say 7 to 6and green dot to red dot also kind of a pain to switch powder bushing without dumping powder out that being said i used one for a couple of years way back they are just a little slow for me

i would recommend finding a used mec 650 jr or something along those lines much more user friendly on changing stuff out and all sorts of faster to use

I would talk to local ranges if you have them see if you can get hulls from them if the sell a certain brand and use those for reloading they are easy to inspect and reuse the reason i say a local range is because a lot of them will sell a bunch of 1 type you know they are once fired it would save some dough

i picked up probably 1000 empty 1 fired hulls from my local supplier for free and have been using them the last couple of years

about the only thing i haven't been able to reload cheaper is ammo you can get as military bulk

If you expect to save money by getting into reloading your own ammunition, then I have some bad news for you. However, if you expect to be able to make better, more consistent ammunition then you can buy at any price that is tailored to your gun and shooting needs then I have some great news for you.

The ammo you make mite be cheaper per round but only if you don't include the cost all of the equipment you buy (both the initial setup and everything else you realize your going to need) and your time invested. Not to mention buying components in bulk, which can be a huge cost upfront but is the only way to make ammo cheaper per round then what you can buy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you or anyone else from reloading there own ammo...it's a great hobby/useful skill that is a great way to learn the science behind guns and ammo. I reload for 9mm, 9x18mm, 10mm, 45acp, 38/357mag, 223Rem, 308Win and 30-06. I also cast my own pistol and rifle bullets and have the equipment to reload 40S&W, 20 and 12ga shot shells (haven't gotten around to it yet). I enjoy reloading a lot, it is very gratifying to "hit the sweet spot" in a particular gun with a particular charge of a particular powder with a particular primer and bullet that produces a group dramatically smaller then what you get with the 100-and-some-odd number of other loads you shot. But I have yet to save a noticeable amount of money by reloading.

couldent go into as much detail as i wanted to earlier,

i got my lee load all 2 with all bushings and primer feeder for 15.00

i cast all my own buckshot and slugs i get my alloy for free

i only really pay for wads powder and primers baught everything in bulk. so im set for awhile.

the real big perks of reloading? custom loads. you will not find a factory made .68 cal rnd ball slug rnd in any wally world.

i like the lee load all because all i load are slugs and buck, no real need for a progressive loader when you have to stop and put the shot in by hand.

also damn satisfying to see youre handiwork in action. i try to make my loads as economical as possibel, but i really dont reload to save money.

my advice? find a cheap loader, buy a small set of components. try some loads, if its not youre thing. sell it.

I've been back into reloading only a short time, and can afford pretty much as many shells as I want to put through my several shotguns. However, I ended up with thousands of empty hulls, a six acre farm a body wouldn't want to get within a mile of with a metal detector....and a desire for not only saving money, but for new dimensions in versatility that I can't find at my local Wal-Mart or Gander Mountain.

So, with help from this forum and Shotgun World, I started reloading again. And to tell you the truth, I'm one of those guys who spends every free moment thinking about, changing, adding stuff to, ad infinitum, guns. Reloading helps me to fill those hours when fiddling with a gun isn't feasable or desirable (wife, don't you know).

So now, I've reloaded sufficient to use up half my empty hulls, and have filled another cabinet with #4 buckshot loads, and #4 regular loads. It's a good feeling to know I've got a good stock of ammo....

My recommendation? Give it a shot, I bet you'll like it, big time!

PJJ

So anyone able to link me the best places to buy what I need, and for that matter some recipes? I really want to start loading some buck shot. My buddy told me to go get some scrap lead and cast my own shot. Im sure that could save a few $$ too.

best prices ive found so far http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/ i belive on fridays they do a free shipping special (they did for me anyway!) call first. also casting youre own shot will save alot of money, but not time i personally cast my own buckshot and am very happy with the results. as for recipes go check out the reloading section of this forum, theirs more than a few to get you going.

good luck and be safe. :super: