New Draco for me...WOW

Well I joined the ranks of those wild and crazy Draco owners. No sooner than I picked mine up I was tinkering away on it. I first tried it with a SAW grip and while it looked pretty spiffy, it didn't fit my hand too well up near where the grip met the bottom of the receiver so I went back to the AK grip. I had sent off to K-var for a set of Bulgarian foregrips in black synthetic. I have a Ultimak mount on the way but it will go right back because I made the mistake in ordering the short M7-B and I should have gotten the M1-B and do what poster Corbin did. I may see how it looks first as the guys at Ultimak says Draco's can sometimes vary in the lenght of the gas tube.After I get that figured out I plan on trying my EoTech on it but may just go ahead and get one of SiG Arms micro dot sight similar to the Aimpoint Micro, only it's only $200 vs $600+ for the Aimpoint. I already fixed up a sling mount using a left over piece from a 3 point sling, running the pistol grip screw though it and extending out the back on the grip.

post-24333-0-02829300-1296086146_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-14354600-1296086165_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-05159700-1296086184_thumb.jpg

well I got all my parts finally and also received my Ultimak M7-B rail and it was about as short as was reported by Corbin on the other thread showing the gap in pictures. I contemplated sending it back and exchanging for the M1-B mount but instead I started looking around at alternatives. I found a radiator fitting made out of black polymer material and after eyeballing a little I decided to make a gas tube sleeve that slipped over the end of the tube and it filled in that gap quite nicely. I just cut it at the gap where the o-ring was and sanded it smooth and that took all of about 10 minutes.I have included some pictures. I am going to the range this weekend to shoot it and make big fireballs. I am now going to get my old toothbrush out and clean up that sucker now. My Eotech fits quite nicely and I like the lower height of the Ultimak mount.

post-24333-0-48508600-1296251367_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-82021300-1296251380_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-33652200-1296251392_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-12384700-1296251408_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-71369100-1296251435_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-33972000-1296251454_thumb.jpg

post-24333-0-18141000-1296251474_thumb.jpg

Looks good. Still can't wait to get a Draco.

I had planned on doing those same handguards and an MD Arms Molot clone grip.

Thanks, I took it out Sunday and made some big fireballs and got some oohh's and aww's.I set up my targets at 50yds and got some decent accuracy.

• Like 1

Thats a great mod with the fitting.. I just hope it doesn't melt.

Let us Know.

I have a Draco as well, fun little thing to shoot. Had to get used to the hold while doing rapid shots your going to enjoy it. Have fun :killer:

I don't think melting will be an issue as it's made from hitemp polymer that's a radiator hose fitting. By the way I put the SAW grip back on and am going to try it out again this weekend.Nice thing about that Ultimak is that it has enough room still available at the front to allow the mounting of a weapons light. It's on another thread here.

post-24333-0-40188500-1297126745_thumb.jpg

Pretty nice setup with the radiator part. Please keep us informed how it does.

Well I looked at your post showing the gap and I had every intention of doing what you did and sending it back for the longer mount but I had to search a little first and found that part at an auto parts near where I work. I snagged it on my lunch hour and trimmed it and it slid right on there and basically just filled the gap. It took about 10 minutes. It was made out of high temperature polymer so no worries about it melting. Anyway that tube doesn't get that hot.

All you guys inspired me with all your great ideas! Now I'm on the verge of converting my .308 Saiga as my fears of mucking it up have gone after all the great tips on this forum.

Thanks again

Edited by Berzerker2

Try the Hogue AK47 grip, my favorite grip mod I have tried so far.

You know, I put the SAW grip on and it seemed to feel better but I just really like the look of the AK grip vs the SAW. I was thinking about the Hogue AK grip as it retains the AK look but I'm sure the grip has more of a cushion than the regular polymer AK grip. It's something I may try.