Suppressor Question

unless a new ruling was handed down, suppressors and AOWs were not *required* to attain 5320 for interstate move, though many folks will choose this if not just for redundancy's sake. helps with local LEOs who know little about NFA details

Edited by waltermitty

unless a new ruling was handed down, suppressors and AOWs were not *required* to attain 5320 for interstate move, though many folks will choose this if not just for redundancy's sake. helps with local LEOs who know little about NFA details

However, you do need to let them know if it is a permanent move. You do that by sending them a signed letter stating that you will be moving the AOW or suppressor to a new state. (Basically, put the info from a form 5320.20 in a letter-form).

Grimm

Would you still need hearing protection while shooting a 5.56mm with a suppressor?

Depends on the suppressor. Some are designed to be hearing safe, but are larger and heavier. Others are smaller and not designed to be hearing safe, per se, but will help take the edge off for short barrel applications.

The supersonic crack can still be detrimental to hearing, according to some studies.

However, you do need to let them know if it is a permanent move. You do that by sending them a signed letter stating that you will be moving the AOW or suppressor to a new state. (Basically, put the info from a form 5320.20 in a letter-form).

Grimm

be aware that though this notification is printed on the back of the Form, it's never been codified in CFR or US Code...so it's not supported by law.

Would you still need hearing protection while shooting a 5.56mm with a suppressor?

Check out NFA Talk's review section or Silencer Research if you are going to drop the money on a suppressor & stamp. Depending on what you want (size, weight & price wise), you can get many that are hearing safe and meter safely under 140 db.

It won't sound like anything you hear in the movies - basically it's like a long barreled .22 rifle with high velocity ammo going off.

You might want to go the route of getting a .308 suppressor as you can shoot any caliber smaller through it.

might want to go the route of getting a .308 suppressor as you can shoot any caliber smaller through it.

The problem with that is the mounting options, you'll need thread adaptors im not sure exist. It will be louder than a dedicated suppressor for that caliber.

Crusader, the most important detail is that they are legal in your new jurisdiction.

I have no problems with legality, but I am trying to weigh the cost/benefit.5 months is a long time to wait and $1200.00 is a lot of money. For non-military use, it is becoming hard for me to justify. I am still thinking about it.

The 5 months and $1200.00 will be the best time and money spent. I have a can for my .223's, we shoot the Ar's, Vector and CZ bolt action off our back deck without any hearing protection. Our house is built into the side of our hill, and we only have about 5-6 ft. from the edge of the deck to the hill, and where we shoot into the bank is only about 40-50 yards, even with the noise reflecting off the hill, my 10/22 with hi-velocity rounds is about the same as far as sound. Without the can, muffs are required. (ear muffs that is) :)

My next NFA buy will be a can or an SBR. If they appreciate like all my other Title II items have, it will be well worth it, even if I did not like playing with these things! :D

silencers are fun and its nice to shoot without ear pro.

I cant justify the cost of a silencer + stamp + threaded barrel for a .22LR but I'd get it for bigger stuff if possible.

You're missing out. A suppressed .22 is one of the most fun guns to shoot there are. If you use a stubby, like the Walther P22, then pretty much any bulk .22 ammo is going to remain sub-sonic. That's a LOT of plinking fun, if you ask me.