Magazine Convesions

I am 37 and have been shooting guns since I was little. I have been an AR15 guy for about 10 years never really getting into any other rifles, Thats about to change. I was shooting a friends Saiga 308 at the range and I was sold, I want one now. I started looking at all the mods that can be done....all the specs on it....everything. Then I come to the mags and at $30.00 to $50.00 for one magazine turned me off the rifle. I'm use to spending $10 to $15 for one mag for my AR15's sometimes a lot less than that.

Does anyone know of any magazine conversions for the Saiga 308? I was told that galil would be the best for a conversion but for the cost of one of those I can buy a Surefire mag. Then I see stuff on the FAL mags and the CETME mags but nothing successful. Can anyone help me out because this is going to be the decision breaker for me.

Does anyone know of any magazine conversions for the Saiga 308? I was told that galil would be the best for a conversion but for the cost of one of those I can buy a Surefire mag. Then I see stuff on the FAL mags and the CETME mags but nothing successful. Can anyone help me out because this is going to be the decision breaker for me.

I usually look in the 308 section of the forum. Ive seen a couple threads on it already. You can convert an 8rnd into a 10 round. I think they also make kits for it. http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=22917 <here is just one i saw on the first page.

Also, a new business member on here : UNITA INDUSTRIES, has some new 20 round mags out that are worth the money IMO. I have 3 and they work great.

Edited by AZG

I am 37 and have been shooting guns since I was little. I have been an AR15 guy for about 10 years never really getting into any other rifles, Thats about to change. I was shooting a friends Saiga 308 at the range and I was sold, I want one now. I started looking at all the mods that can be done....all the specs on it....everything. Then I come to the mags and at $30.00 to $50.00 for one magazine turned me off the rifle. I'm use to spending $10 to $15 for one mag for my AR15's sometimes a lot less than that.

Two of the same thread.....hmmmm....:031:

How do I delete one of these threads. I feel like a dumbass. Im new here....lol.

perhaps ask one of the MODS, Im not sure who is who but Juggernaut might be able to point you in the right direction if not fix it himself. Im not sure. And dont worry about it. We all were newbies once. Just do alot of reading before you ask questions because the answers are there, we just have to find them. People have been doing this stuff for years now and all of our issues have already been solved. and if you read and read and read and still can find your answer then ask. but so far thats the best route ive found. Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your Saiga!

Edited by AZG

For the cost of one galil 20 round you can buy two of my mags, which are the most expensive mags for the saiga.

The saiga is not very hard on magazines as the feed lips are normally supported against a steel rail. In an AR-15 the feedlips have almost no support so they are worn fairly quickly.

You really only need a few mags for the .308

• Like 1

Well I guess I should say that I am going to be training with this weapon so I would like to have atleast 8 or 9 mags and then on top of that I would like another 5 or 6 for spares. Thats why I have a problem with the price of all the Saiga 308 mags. My buddy is a machinist and I have done some machining in the past myself. I might take a crack at making the fal mags fit. Only thing Im still trying to figure out is how to get them to lock into place. I can mill the breech so they fit thats a piece of cake but locking them in is another story.

For the cost of one galil 20 round you can buy two of my mags, which are the most expensive mags for the saiga.

The saiga is not very hard on magazines as the feed lips are normally supported against a steel rail. In an AR-15 the feedlips have almost no support so they are worn fairly quickly.

You really only need a few mags for the .308

The reason for the price of the mags is quite simple. Since the AR15/M16 is a military weapon, there are literally millions of surplus military mags available for under $10.Same with 7.62x39 AK mags. The Saiga .308 was never a military weapon, so there are no surplus military mags available. To be importable under federal law, the factory mags were 8 rounders. Any Hi cap mags for the .308 Saiga are made here in the US from scratch, not military surplus. There was a guy who was trying to figure out how to make HK G3 mags fit, but serious modifications to the gun would be necessary. Haven't heard much about that lately. Just don't buy 5 mags at once. Spread it out. GARY N4KVE

I am glad Rusty asked this question. Surely there is someone out there who has converted other mags to use in a 308.

I converted a few M-14 mags before I started making them from scratch. It was extremely time consuming and was extremely hit or miss... Mostly miss.

I know liberty magazines converted G3 mags, I don't think they made many.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19490

Fact is the saiga .308 is a result of shoehorning a .308 rifle into a AK-47 receiver. Almost every magazine for a .308 rifle is larger in at least one direction.